Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone have any idea whats going on with my knee?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline mrwabam

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Anyone have any idea whats going on with my knee?
« on: September 02, 2004, 09:05:57 AM »
Hello All,

I am a Top Level volleyball player and last week I started having some strange knee pain.  It occurs when I walk up stairs, bend my knee to around 30 degrees, and drive stick.

I still have full mobility and everything its just that their are certain angles that if i bend my knee it sends a sharp pain.  It feels as if it is coming from the back outside of my knee, but that could just be in my head.

I have had patella injuries before and this feels like a completly different beast.

Any ideas you guys might have to what this could be would be great.  If i can answer any questions for you please let me know,

Thanks!

Tom

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Anyone have any idea whats going on with my kn
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 11:27:57 PM »
hey tom..i'll give it a shot..sounds as if you may hav a loose body floater in there..only certain flexions cause it to irritate..like a rock in a door hinge...any burning?

let me know if i can help if yu want to go into more detail

cheers

ron
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Offline BuffettBarbie

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 02:28:15 AM »
Tom,

That sounds uncannily the way my knee problems started.  Does it hurt when you sit with your knees bent (like a movie theatre) for a long period of time?  I was very athletic (running 5 miles a day, tennis, golf, mountain biking) when mine started to bother me.  The initial X-rays and MRI showed nothing wrong, so I was given Vitamin M (Motrin) and told to ice it.  Slowly, X-rays were revealing my patellas drifting outward.  I tried physical therapy, as the doctors tought it was a muscle imbalance.  I had to cut down on the running.  The popping sound got worse, no matter what I did.  Eventually, it led to a lateral release on each knee, which did not work.  I just a a Fulkerson's on the right two weeks ago, as the patella jutted out of the side of my leg and sounded like velcro when I bent.  Since you are a top-level volleyball player, I am assuming you are tall.  (I am a 5'11" female.)  Funny thing about tall people- our knees go bad.  I think this is due to our limbs growing too fast.  

Definitely, book an appoinment with an orthopaedic surgeon for a consult/x-rays.  Regular doctors are not knowledgeable in knees to diagnose anything.  In the meantime, STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH.  Especially your hamstrings and quads.  One muscle group might be tightening up, causing the patella to pull a certain way.  Icing it won't hurt, either.  Avoid steps and strenuos activity for a few days and see if this helps.

Let me know how the outcome is.  I hope it is nothing serious.  Good luck to you!

Chris  :)
Lateral Release- Left Knee (Feb 2001)
Lateral Release- Right Knee (April 2001)
Fulkerson's TTO, Lateral Release, & Scope- Right Knee (20 Aug 2004)

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 04:21:20 AM »
Tom:

I'm not a doctor (and I don't even play one on TV), but I'm with Ron as far as his attempted diagnosis.  In particular, the "sharp pain" and the onset of the pain at specific angles makes me think that it's likely you have a loose fragment floating about in the knee capsule - possibly resulting from a tear of the proximal cartilage.  Since you're a volleyball player, certainly this is a very possible kind of injury for you, what with all the impact and twisting your knees must endure.

I also agree with Chris that the first thing you must do is get yourself seen by a good orthopaedic doctor who specializes in knees.  A general doctor is just not going to see what a good knee guy will see, and it's best to treat these things earlier rather than later.

Good luck, Tom.  Hope everything works out for you.  If you need any specific help or advice or want a suggestion as to a good orthopedist (where do you live?), please feel free to pm me.

Holly
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 04:22:05 AM by Holly »
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline mrwabam

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 06:20:00 AM »
Hey Guys,

Thankyou for all your input.  I'll reply to all your inquries.

Ron and Holly, I am not sure about the loose body floating around, I have some of those in my elbow and its seems different than that.  I did notice that when i put my hand on my kneecap and extend my knee it clicks at a certain point, could that be a bone fragement irritating under the cap?  The only reason I am unsure about the bone fragement is that the pain seems to be on the side of the knee in the soft tissue.

Chris; I am not sure, but I think what you are refering to is patella tendinitus, I had that  a few years ago, and it was disabilitating for awhile till I had it properly treated.  I am actually not that tall, 5'11'' as well, but I have a 42" give or take vertical, so I am putting all sorts of wierd stresses on my joints.  I was thinking it could be that I have some scar tissue left over from my patella tendinitus that is rubbing things the wrong way though, so I'll definitly remember to tell the guy about my prior injuries.

I am definitly going to go see a doctor though, tomorrow I am seeing the Knee guy of the Celtics, so Hopefully he'll be able to give me a idea of what I am up against.

I have had some terrible injuries in the past, level 3 ankle sprain (which has left me with no ligaments in my left ankle), torn rotator cuff, and a bad case of Patella tendinitus, and out of all of them this is the only one I am actually worrying about.

My sister is a Ortho and I described my symptoms to her, and she said it might be what you guys suggested or a minicus or PCL issue, but without seeing me she couldnt give me too much info.

Anyone have any idea if PCL/Minicus injuries are serious how much down time etc would I be looking at from any of these items?

Thanks again for all your help!

Tom

Offline mrwabam

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 02:12:20 AM »
Hey Guys,  

I talked to my Ortho guy, and he couldn't tell anything wrong with my knee from his examination, he took some x-rays and I do have less cartalige in my knee than a normal 24 year old but he said thats nothing major.  He did suggest I get an MRI done, so I did that and should have the results back this week.

I noticed, that if I stand on my right foot, and make the toes of my left foot touch the back of my right foot and then push forward I am able to replicate the pain.

He said something about a miniscus tear to the Radiologist, is that something I should be worrying about, what type of recovery times are their for that type of injury?  Are their different levels of tears (i.e. some that require surgury and others that do not)

Any input would be appreaciated!

Thanks!

tom

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 04:08:24 AM »
I had the same sharp pain when I pushed my foot into the back of my other foot.  The dr thought it was a meniscus tear, but it was PFS.  Good Luck!!!
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!