Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Staph Infection  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Rhino

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Staph Infection
« on: September 01, 2004, 11:52:39 PM »
I had TKR in January and developed staph infection which in turn the knee had to be removed with a 6 week regimen of antibiotics. I have my 3rd surgery to replace the spacer on Oct 5th and was wondering if i have to be on antibiotics when i get the knee done. They gave it to me thru something called a pic line. ANy help would be appreciated.

thanks

larry
Thee who seizes the moment wins the day.

Offline Cora

• Regular Poster
Re: Staph Infection
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 05:11:19 AM »
Hi Rhino, good luck with that.  It sounds frustrating.  I had a septic infection in my knee years ago, but never surgery while it happened.  I think you have an unusual circumstance.  Sorry no replies yet!
Right knee- Septic Infection 1988, Skiing Injury with a severe medial sprain 1997, Softball injury with medial sprain 2004, PFS with arthritis diagnosed 2004.

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 08:21:52 AM »
Did they just put the spacer in, or has it been in since the knee was removed. It is typical to have the space in place until the knee can be replaced, and the infection is gone. THe antibiotics will probably be continued through the placing of the second knee replacement, as once infection as been in the joint, it is common and fearful it will become a chronic infection.  Ibelieve there are some posts under the crisis board, about MRsa and TKR. Are you on vancomycin ? check out the other posts.I have MRSA before my tkr, and now think I have osteomelitis, and am fearful my joint will need to be replaced, and will definitely not be looking forward to that, as this joint replacement has not gone well, and been too painful. Best of luck, hope that d#[email protected] infection is gone for good Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline Rhino

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 07:32:46 PM »
THanks for replying. I had the knee put in and i thought i was in the clear until i noticed a lump forming on the scar. SO i went the the OS and he sliced a 1 inch incision into it in the office and what poured out of my knee was disgusting. He sent me right to the hospital and had a spacer put in. I was on the vancomycin for 6 weeks and now i take blood tests every 2 weeks to make sure it is gone. I was hoping to get away from the antibiotic pic line after surgery because i have to travel in the beginning of December. It is totally frustrating and my patience is definitely being tested.
Thee who seizes the moment wins the day.

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 10:12:43 PM »
rhino..sorry about the staph woes man..have has three myself..worst was the bone graft/acl/lr/med me/ fiasco during surgery # 5..some scary moments as the infection spread to the marrow of the hip bone..and i know you must be in some really gnarly pain..sending good thoughts your way..know how frustrated u must be...let me know if i can help or if you wanna vent..you can im here if you want..just click on my name and select send private mssg..

cheers

ron
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues