Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: HELP - Microfracture / ACI????  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Nathan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
HELP - Microfracture / ACI????
« on: August 31, 2004, 01:19:23 PM »
Hi,

I had microfracture surgery for a femur chondryl lesion (medial) on my right knee in February.  It was classified as class III to IV full thickness defect.  I have had no relief from this treatment and have trouble with the simplist of things such as getting dressed in the morning & walking up stairs.  I am now looking for another type of surgery to aleviate this problem.

I have read a lot about ACI but have been told by my OS that it is currently commercially driven and not as effective as other techniques...Can anyone help with further information on this?? Any personal experiences???  Also, does anyone know who can do this surgery somewhere in Europe???

Thanks,

Nathan
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 01:22:19 PM by Nathan »

Offline jan uk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: HELP - Microfracture / ACI????
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 08:01:37 PM »
Hi nathan i had the same op as you mine was lateral side that was june 06 i'm still suffering i can sympathize whith all that you say i've been referred to pain management team i was told the only surgery option was knee transplant which is'nt freely done in the uk you have to be as they put it of a certain age.so i wish you luck keep us posted.jan
r/k patellar chrondroplasty,patellar debridement,lateral tear micro fracture.nerve problems l/k full dislocation lateral tear meniscus tear.twice.

Offline tenabutter

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 04:59:44 AM »
Hi Nathan,

I too had the microfracture on my RK in March 2006 for femur chondryl lesion. I went to get a 2nd opinion because I couldn't bend my knee, walk up stairs, clean my house, ect...... I went for 2nd surgery Dec 2006 same knee to see if I was a candidate for the ACI. I had a contrast MRI prior to going for surgery, which wasn't too promiseing.  I was well prepared that I probably would not be and the microfracture and ACI surgery have about the same results. When the OS went in, he found the microfractured area was the only area with cartalidge left in the knee, so no go with the ACI. I have since gone back to PT to strengthen the muscles around the knee. I am in constant pain, in my mid 40's and waiting another 6 months or so before a TKR.  I am seeing my hips and back start to deteriate more due to my knee issues and my OS is watching the body carefully to make the decision as to when he will perform TKR without letting my body get too far out of whack.  I am thankful I have an OS that is willing to go in for a scope to see if cleaning up the area will work and keep me going longer, perhaps a simple cleaning is what you need. My original OS refused to accept the fact that I was in constant pain after the microfracture, he wouldn't even do another MRI, which caused me to get another opinion.

I wish you pain relief and good luck with that knee, you never know how important they are until it is too late!!!!
3/17/2006 RK Microfracture
12/28/2006 RK Scope

Offline holly101

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 11:11:44 PM »
Hi Nathan.  I had the microfracture surgery in June of 2006 and it did not take all the way. I had two fairly large lesions in my knee, also a misaligned kneecap.  In February of this year my OS referred me to a another OS that he felt was able to do the ACI better than him.  My OS told me that he had only done the ACI procedure involving one lesion and had not done the surgery invovling two lesions.  The OS he sent me to did the ACI procedure along with an osteotomy in May.  They feel this procedure has worked except for a set back involving my PT.  If the Physical Therapist does not follow the protocal to the letter it will really screw you up.  Good Luck and do as much research as possible.

support