Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: replacement of a knee replacement  (Read 956 times)

Offline dwj

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
replacement of a knee replacement
« on: August 31, 2004, 05:02:31 AM »
I recently had a uni-knee replacement (1yr ago) and have experienced continual pain.  After consulting with a second doctor I am now considering a total knee replacement. How common is this surgery and what is the success rate and possible complications associated with this type of operation, and has anyone have any experience with a similar situation ?  Also has anyone had any experience with the Rothman Clinic in Philadelphia PA USA.  ?

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: replacement of a knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 05:46:56 AM »
can't offer you much info in the area of knee replacement, just wanted to wish you luck in your search for information and in getting the help you need.
GOodluck
Hugs
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline dwj

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 03:05:33 AM »

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 11:26:18 PM »
Hi there.....

I have not had any personal experience of this situation however I do have some knowledge of the subject area...

The link below is for a very informative article by Richard S Laskin, MD of the "Hospital for Special Surgery" in NYC. It is well written (and easily understood) and discusses  "Uni" vs "TKR", failed Uni's and solutions to this and the "Role of the Total Knee Replacement in Unicompartmental Arthritis".............

I found it very interesting and hope it will be of some help to you in your tough decision.....

http://orthopaedics.hss.edu/physicians/phys_indepth/laskin_knee/index.asp

This second link discusses "Unicompartmental (&#8220;Mini&#8221;) Knee, Total Knee Replacement, or Osteotomy for Knee Arthritis in a Younger Patient?" Hope it helps...

http://www.orthop.washington.edu/hip_knee/weeklyquestions/newest/01

Good Luck with your decision....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 11:27:23 PM by andrewc »
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 05:28:35 AM »
Hi, I , too, have had a knee replacment, only a total, in October, 2003, and have had problems since, I found out today, there is part of the prothesis floating in my knee, and that the type of implant used, is not necessarily, the best choice, probably was the cheapeast available if I know the hospital in out town. It has failed with the same problem, in the first year or two after placement in many of the people who have received it. There are already two law firms, representing, the people against the co. who makes itl Most people do great up into the 80's, even, as I have been a nurse for alot of years, and taken care of alot of them. Mine has actualy had more problems that any I took care of. I also had a MRSA infection prior to the knee replacment, and my scans are showing most likely bone infection in the bones at the implant of the joint. I do wish you luck, and don't want to paint a bad pic, just wanted to let you know there can be one. I know somebody else who went with the uni, and now they want her to wait for the total, I know she wishes she had had the total in the first place, as it has not been even two years. Later, Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

support