Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain after lateral release and recovery time  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Jennie_P.

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Pain after lateral release and recovery time
« on: August 30, 2004, 01:04:59 AM »
 I have had problems with my right knee popping in and outta joint for last 4 months, knee worsened, pain worsened and doc scheduled sugery. Surgery was done on August 20th , they found ny knee cap was 5 1/2 inches from where it shouldve been and scar tissue had built up underneath it preventing it from going back into normal position. Doc said happened years ago from different injury and this injury just totally messed it up. I am getting around pretty good now, getting sutures out tommorrow...but i have some spasms in knee and around it and still have some swelling that hasnt went down yet. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or not? and I live on my own so i have had to take care of myself, how long can i expect to recover from it ? I would appreciate any feedback and any suggestions on getting through some of the pain, seems it gets worse at nightime....thank you Jennie :)

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Pain after lateral release and recovery time
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 03:49:14 AM »
Sounds like you are doing really well, I had a LR on my left knee on the 23rd, i'm still on crutches, non weight bearing and swollen.   Keep up the good work it sounds like you are coming along just great... Take it easy though, until you get the swelling down.  Keep the leg elevated and ice it as much as you can.
Goodluck and take care
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline BARACIS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 06:26:51 PM »
 :) keep it iced and keep doing physio, i learnt the hard way that it takes time and patience, all the best

Offline Jennie_P.

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 11:07:18 PM »
I want to thank you for your responses...  and give a little update. Post-Op visit was on Monday 29th. sutures came out and Doc says everything looking great...I don't have to wear my immobilizer anymore but do have to keep wrapped for another 2-3 weeks, due to me having lots of animals and he doesen't want to run the risj of any of there hair getting in site. Therapy starts friday for 8 weeks..I am still having bouts of pretty bad pain..worsens at night and first thing in the morning...I can walk totally crutch free now also. My knee lets me know if i over do anything the nexy day and i pay for it...i can drive in about a week...due to it being on my right knee not safe to drive just yet....This is for anyone else out there who has had this done..for me it has been the best thing so far...pain i was feeling before is gone and i can get around even now better than before....thanj you all Jennie ::)

Offline Knee_Queen

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 11:39:07 PM »

Hi Jennie!!!

Sounds like you are having a rough ride with this one- I had LR in 1997 and things went quite smoothly at the time- I was not offered crutches at all in fact, after just over an hour after arriving on the ward from recovery I was told to start walking around (short distances)!!

I remember the pain being quite grotty at the time but after two weeks I was playing badminton (not running after shuttlecock though). Swelling will probably stay around for a while- best thing to do is apply ice regularly, raise leg on stool when sitting and mobilise as much as possible! Good luck with the recovery and hope it works out for you (mine unfortunately failed after 4 years and I'm just about to have distal realignment/TTT, LR and MR next friday)!!!!

Heidi
23yrs.Recurrent atraumatic R-knee dislocations since age of 11. L/R aged 15yrs. Elmslie Trillat TTT & 2nd L/R 10/9/04!Left knee also problematic, increasing pain/subluxations.

Offline LisaL

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004, 05:19:10 PM »
I had my LR on 7/14.  I started PT 5 days post op.  It took me about 2 1/2 weeks before I could start driving again.  I am walking pretty well....my knee too pipes up when I overdo it.  My biggest problems seem to be stairs (going down more than going up) and getting back the end of my ROM...I can't bring my knee to my chest or try to stretch heel to butt...still hurts like heck.  I'm going back to see my OS on Thursday, so I will see what he says then.
1991 - 1996 Multiple L Patellar Subluxations
1996 - LR & TTT Left Knee
2004 - R Patellar Dislocation & Avulsion Fracture
LR & Chondroplasty 7/14/04