Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Synvisc Reaction  (Read 3901 times)

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Synvisc Reaction
« on: August 25, 2004, 11:47:03 PM »
I had my first Synvisc injection on Monday.  The injection itself wasn't bad - much better than the cortisone shot I had previously.  Initially, my knee just felt a little squishy and stiff.  After about 1/2 hour the burning in my knee was greatly intensified.  It gradually got worse and worse to the point that I was taking Tylenol 3's and walking with crutches.  It is now 2 days later and there is still intense pain and stiffness in that knee. :'(  Anybody have a similar reaction?  I have 2 more injections to go and am flying to BC on September 13th, so I'm feeling a little apprehensive.

Offline KatieWhy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • &quot;Every bunny loves some bunny sometimes...... &quot;
Re: Synvisc Reaction
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 02:17:10 AM »
Hi, Grannynan.  I read this post, as well as the one asking for encouraging words.  No, I did not have that reaction.  After a couple of days, the pain had subsided and I ALWAYS felt the pain of the cortison shot was worse than any of the SynVisc shots I got.  I would talk to your doctor.  I wish you all of the luck!  I'm two months past my third SynVisc, and I tell you I would do it all over again.  The relief has been IMMEASURABLE for me.  I even was able to help a friend move from a second story apartment to another second story apartment about a week ago.  A little sore, but Bextra took care of it....Good luck!
OA both knees
Lateral, not medial, degeneration
Baker's Cyst left knee
Steroid shots (not so successful)
Synvisc series completed June 2004

Offline Mitidai

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 07:12:22 AM »
I had my third synvisc shot today.  Each shot hurt a little worse then the one before.  I don't know why that is.  I haven't noticed much improvement yet but am still hoping.  My os will see me in three months and if I don't have improvement we will go ahead with the tkr.  I'm 49 and he'd like me to wait but this is getting really old.    My hope is that ten years down the line they have more technology and replacements will last longer so that when I have my 2nd one it will go longer.

JAN
9-2002 medial menisectomy left knee
11-2003 lateral menisectomy and microfracture left knee
11-2003 fractured cartilage left knee
lateral menisectomy right knee 1-2005
microfracture right knee 1-2005
tkr left knee 1-2006
arthroscopy and lateral femoral chondroplasty 9-2006

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 07:11:56 PM »
My OS said exactly the same thing.  Have the 3 Synvisc injections, if there's no major improvement in 3 months we'll go ahead with the TKR.  I'm also hoping that there will be major improvements in the revisions in 10 years or so.  I do know fairly active people that have had their implants for 20 years or more.

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 07:16:13 PM »
By the way, Jan, how long did your knee hurt after each injection?  

Offline stefanie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 08:11:57 PM »
Sorry to hear the synvisc injection is bothering you.  I have had 3 rounds (9 injections) bilaterally with the injections.  The first round was wonderful, yes the injections hurt, but the results were remarkable.  Second time around my OS thought I must have had a bit of a tissue reaction to the synvisc because on my last injection  I experienced some pain, lots of swelling & stiffness also.  The next (3rd round) had a worse reaction on 2nd shot, but he put cortisone in also & that seemed to have helped....has your OS suggested that option?  Good luck, hope the injections help & you're able to make your trip pain free!

~Stefanie  :)
89 scope left knee, 89 scope right knee, 90 remove hardware, bilateral synvisc x3 rounds, '04 acl recon, chondroplasty & notchplasty, Grade 4 chondromalacia, 7/04 pkr right, 10/04 pkr left.

Offline Mitidai

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 09:10:17 PM »
Hi Grannynan,

My knee hurt really bad for the rest of the day after my 3rd synvisc shot.  Then this morning it was better.  I'm still waiting for improvement.  

JAN
tkr left knee 1-2006

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 02:02:07 AM »
Hi, Jan:
Keep me posted on your progress.  My knee is feeling better this afternoon.  No more T3's and no more crutches.  My ROM is still much less than it was, though - and it SUCKED before.  Hopefully, the next injections will be easier.
Nancy.

Offline Mitidai

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 03:10:59 AM »
Hi Nancy,

Since we both seem to be at the same stage (with synvisc and seeing our doctors in three months to decide on tkr) we should keep each other posted.  I'm still waiting for the synvisc to kick in or whatever it does.  They also have me in physical therapy for my other knee as my doctor says it's headed down the same road.  I can tell it is because this summer it's really hurting.  I live in Iowa so I'm not looking forward to our cold wet winter this year.   ::)

JAN
tkr left knee 1-2006

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 08:00:56 AM »
Hi, Jan!
Great idea.  My left (good) knee has some patello-femoral and medial OS as well as a torn meniscus (I think).  It's quite unhappy because I've been abusing it  for the past 1 1/2 years from limping so badly.  I live in Ontario and we've had a lot of cold, wet weather as well.    I have lots of bone-on-bone throughout my right knee and, from what I've read, Synvisc isn't great in that situation but it's worth a try.  My knee is still pretty sore from the injection.  It feels like it's "on wrong"???? :o
Nancy.

Offline Mitidai

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2004, 11:15:13 PM »
Nancy,

We really are at the same stage with our knees.  It's my left knee that's bone on bone and my right knee with some oa in the patella from being limped on forever.  I'm still waiting for the synvisc injection to help.  I've read too :o that bone on bone doesn't have as much success with synvisc but it is worth the try.  Not looking forward to the tkr but definitely see it in my future.

JAN :o
tkr left knee 1-2006

Offline Mitidai

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 06:47:38 AM »
Hi Nancy and everyone else  ::)

Just wanted to say yesterday I was walking and suddenly thought my knee isn't hurting.  It just hit me out of the blue that the pain wasn't there as bad.  I kept thinking something didn't feel right. And it was the pain missing.  ;D  Today, too it wasn't too bad and I worked and was on my feet off and on.  I had my thrid synvisc shot last Wed. so maybe it's kicking in.  I was kind of skeptical because I'm bone on bone, but I'll see how tommorrow is.  I know Nancy just had her third synvisc shot also.  Have you noticed a difference yet?  I'm just going to take this a day at a time.

JAN
tkr left knee 1-2006

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 08:56:26 AM »
Wow, Jan!
That sounds encouraging!  I've actually only had my first shot - I get my second on Wednesday.  I'm still worse off than I was prior to that first injection, but you're giving me hope.  I also hope that my reaction to this injection isn't as bad as the first one.  Please, please, please, please!   :o  Thanks for the info and let me know how it goes!
Nancy.

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 06:48:36 AM »
I had my second Synvisc injection today.  The OS said that if I have the same type of reaction as I did last time, we won't do the last injection.  The actual injection was much more painful this time.  The after-pain took a little longer to set in because he used a lot more local anesthetic.  My knee is very swollen and stiiff and sore, but not to the same degree as it was last week.  I figure I'll have a better idea tomorrow.  The T3's are making me ramble a little, so I'm going to sign off now!
Nancy.

Offline Mitidai

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2004, 07:20:08 AM »
Hi Nancy,
Sorry you had a reaction to the synvisc.  My knee has been back to being painful and stiff the last couple of days.  I've had some good days also since the shot but the last two days seem to be business as usual.  I think there's a tkr in my near future and I'm just really wanting to get it over with at this point.  My os isn't too crazy about doing it because I'm 49 but he agrees with me that it's getting to be real soon down the road.  Hang in there.
JAN
tkr left knee 1-2006

support