Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: J-sign and trochlear Boss  (Read 1606 times)

Offline BridgetJones_uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • Love me love my knees!
J-sign and trochlear Boss
« on: August 25, 2004, 10:08:39 PM »
I've been nosing through my notes.... Whats a J-sign? Why is it interesting that its more prominent in my left knee that doesn't dislocate as easy as my right? and whats a trochlear boss?

I asked my OS and he just laughed and walked off.....

Any help appreciated. thanks

Em
x
Trauma - Dislocation '96
Chondromalacia, PFS '01
Shallow trochlear groove, Patella Alta & tight ITB dx '03
Right Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope 2004
Left Modified Galeazzi, LR  2005
Redo Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope and medial reefing 2007
Right redislocation 2014

Offline jennylind

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: J-sign and trochlear Boss
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 09:55:56 PM »
Em-

Don't know the answers to your question. I also don't know how the UK system works, so I don't know if this is possible, but you should change OS if that is the attitude your's is giving you. A doctor should always take your questions seriously and answer you with respect.

Do you go to PT? Maybe your PT could answer for you.

Good luck finding some answers.
4/16/04-tripped and fell; TPF 4/17-surgery, 1 plate & 3 screws 4/28-delivered my son 5/7-immobilzer removed 6/7-began PT 6/11-PWB 7/6 FWB 7/23 1 crutch

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 12:08:56 AM »
Hi there...

To answer your questions  
      "J sign" refers to lateral patellar deviation during terminal knee extension or to put it anpther way maltracking due to lateral subluxation!

It essentially means that when a person who has this
is sitting or standing erect in a relaxed position the patellae often face laterally (also called owls eye patella!)
Maybe your OS thought this was interesting because he/she might have expected the knee with a more prominent J-sign to dislocate more easily??(not sure though)

As for the second question...the Trochlear Groove consists of medial and lateral femoral condyles with intervening shallow depression (5-6 mm). This depression is the place on the femur that holds the kneecap in place and prevents subluxing (subluxation is where the kneecap almost dislocates eg/ jumps right out of its groove - but not totally)

As for the trochlear boss....I believe it may be a prominent "notch" on the groove but I am not 100% sure of its precise location within the trochlear groove.....

Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 12:10:50 AM by andrewc »
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline BridgetJones_uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • Love me love my knees!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 02:19:03 AM »
Thanks guys J sign now seems obvious, and I would expect the left to dislocate more readily than the right.....crazy, maybe the left has better muscles. Googled trochlear boss, but to no avail

Jennylind my OS laughed cause he always sees me with my nose in a book in the library or hunting for random papers (mainly all the EBM for my knee op) hw thinks that I must know laods of stuff of stuff but I don't and hes being trying to catch me out for ages....

Hes a good one and I've had quite a few!

Thanks for all your thoughts

Em
xx
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 02:22:47 AM by BridgetJones_uk »
Trauma - Dislocation '96
Chondromalacia, PFS '01
Shallow trochlear groove, Patella Alta & tight ITB dx '03
Right Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope 2004
Left Modified Galeazzi, LR  2005
Redo Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope and medial reefing 2007
Right redislocation 2014