Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: In agony  (Read 824 times)

Offline rzoe714

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
In agony
« on: August 25, 2004, 05:23:04 AM »
Ive always had knee pain and minor locking of the knees. It was manageable Im female,51 and obese.

Yesterday I was just standing and I heard  or felt a pop and now I can hardly walk. the pain is in the front of my kneecap, If I'm just sitting its no problem but walking is the problem. What can I do before I see the dr.  I know the dr will say it is weight related. They totally treat obese people like second class citizens.

Any advice

Offline clarkarcher

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Run HardER!
Re: In agony
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 03:44:04 AM »
Whenever I am having knee problems I try to just stay off it as much as posible.  Also "icy hot" becomes my best friend.  I am an avid runner so I try to baby my knees as much as possible.  It is true even my physical therapist told me that if i could stay slim it will keep the stress off my knees.  Don't feel like they are treating you bad because you may be overweight.  They are trully just being honest and only trying to help you. It is their job. Your knees support you and the less weight on them the better they may feel. :)

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: In agony
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 06:51:28 PM »
 Is the pain better in anyone position? is it swollen, or discolored? methods to relieve pain depend on several factors, but I would start with some ibuprofen or advil or whatever pain NSAID you have on hand.Believe it or not the old standby aspirin will also give you good relief from bone or inflammation, but you have to be careful how much and how long you take it. Weight can be a problem but it doesn't mean you are not entitled to treatment and to feel better. Also if it is not swollen, try a heating pad or put a wash cloth or kitchen towel that you have put in hot water and then wring it out and put it on the knee and then put plastice around it and then the heating pad ona low setting on top of that making sure it does not touch the wet towel, and give it 20 minutes and the heat seems to seep into the joint. Use it only 20 minutes , no more than 30 minutes at a time, 4 or 5 times daily, or even soak in a hot tub for 30 minutes. do not take aspirin and one of the other nsaids together!!If it is swollen or heat doens't make it feel beter then try icing it for 15 minutes at a time. Some people prefer ice over heat or vice versa. Good luck with the dr. expect to be treated with respect , and do the same and hopefully he wil reciprocate. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

support