Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pre-surgery work out?  (Read 1336 times)

Offline XxSkittlezxX

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
    • My Myspace
Pre-surgery work out?
« on: August 24, 2004, 04:42:37 AM »
I'm getting surgery ... (finally got it sorted out) on November 17th, and I wanna be really strong going in, so I can recover well.  My physical therapist is going to give me thera-bands and explain "some of the exercises that I should be doing on a regular basis" but I'd like to know if any of you have done pre-surgery exercises and found them helpful?  

Thanx much!
1/15/04 = ACL Rupture (fully torn)
11/17/04 = ACL Recon. Surgery

Offline Tash_Pitre

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Pre-surgery work out?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 01:04:41 PM »
I am doing pre surgery exercises. I found that they dont work on me to help keep my knee stable but you must make sure your knee is in the best condition so that after the OP your muscles will not regress as much and you keep enough strength to do post-operative exercises. My physio is pretty rubbish i havnt even seen her for about 5 months. Shes got me hopping down stairs (which im too scared to do in case my knee goes) and running 10 metres then changing direction, which is hardly gonna build sufficient muscles but there you go cant change her cuz im on NHS.

A gym ball is great for building knee muscles, just hold on to something and do one legged squats or just sit on it and bounce while you are doing things.

All the best

P.S can i ask if your on the NHS, if so it will give me some idea of the waiting time to be expected. I got my pre-operative appointment tommorow.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 03:44:23 PM »
Before my ACL/PLC reconstruction I did intensive rehab for almost 5 months before hand.  I was in the training room every day doing all sorts of things such as SLR, squats, lunges, balance exercises, and tons of hamstring strengthening exercises.  They also really pushed my ROM to make sure it was full before surgery.  It really helped afterwards.  I had full extension immediately post-op and almost 90 degrees of flexion.  I had no problems with muscle strength since I didn't atrophy that much.  It also helped me progress quickly through the rehab process so that I was able to return to soccer in the absolute minimal time my surgeon would allow.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline XxSkittlezxX

• Regular Poster
    • My Myspace
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 03:59:46 PM »
Tash - No I'm not on NHS but I've heard it can take quite some time... there's lots of people on here that are, or so I've read... good luck with surgery!

ATsoccergirl - You again...  ;)  thanx for your help on the braces too... when I go to my appt. on Friday, I'm gonna see if maybe I can get that one.  They said that my ROM was full, so that's good I suppose.  

Thanx so much for your help!

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 12:33:57 AM »
Pre-surgery exercises will certainly help you. Get your knee as strong as possible. In addition to that, do some aerobic exercises to build up your heart and lungs. This will also help you recover from the anesthesia and all the other drugs they will pump into you. The day before my ACL recon I rode my bike up a mountain. It was 45 miles round trip. The biking really paid off for me. Good luck!

Offline XxSkittlezxX

• Regular Poster
    • My Myspace
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 06:29:59 AM »
I have no problem with the lung capicity.. playing saxophone for 9 years helps me with that one... how do you work out your heart?  Cardiovascular stuff maybe?  Hmm... that might be hard, considering I can't run with out my knee buckling on me.  Thanx for the help!

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 04:51:12 PM »
Yes, do a cardiovascular/aerobic workout. Riding a bike or swimming is the best thing when you have a buggered knee. I couldn't do any sports or running before my surgery. But I could ride my bike for miles.

Offline XxSkittlezxX

• Regular Poster
    • My Myspace
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 10:59:53 PM »
I will start riding a bike then... thanx for the tips everyone!

support