Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Just need your opinion...  (Read 1369 times)

Offline XxSkittlezxX

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
    • My Myspace
Just need your opinion...
« on: August 22, 2004, 08:01:21 PM »
Alright, I blew out my knee (torn ACL) on January 15, 2004... and I have yet to do anything about it, no surgery or anything.  I went to the doctor twice, and I went to physical therapy for about 3 months.  It seemed to be strong enough.  However, recently, at a marching band rehearsal, I was running full sprint across a field and my knee almost gave out on me... I'm sure it would have had I not immediately taken all pressure off of it once I started to feel it go.

My question is, is surgery worth it?  I told myself that I'd get surgery if it gave out on me again, and it did.  I'd like to continue with marching band and possibly lacrosse in college, so I'm leaning toward it, but I don't know if my mom is.  

Also, what about the anesthesia?  General or spinal?  Which do you prefer?  I'll ask more questions if I can think em up!  Thanx!
1/15/04 = ACL Rupture (fully torn)
11/17/04 = ACL Recon. Surgery

Offline ndchick

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Just need your opinion...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 08:34:24 PM »
Hi

I tore my ACL in 12/03 and waited for until 1/04 to have the surgery.  I then stretched it out within 2 months and had a second reconstruction almost 6 wks ago.  So far I have not found the benefit in it.  I was walking way better before the first surgery and in less pain.  I know you will find out that also of people do well.  I let the same surgeon do the second one which I am feeling like it was a mistake.  I just wish there was more follow up without feeling like I hasseling him.  

I wish you the best of luck.  I am in a brace still today which is getting too big and slides  down because I have lost so much muscle and need a new one.  

I can only tell you what I have experienced and I wish I would have taken the time to know that os' do matter and that sometimes giving some things up may be worth it because I have given soo much more up.  I am 33 and cry every day because I cannot do things with my kids or even work yet.  

You will know what is right for you and there are a bunch of VERY caring people on this site that will help you.  Good luck and God Bless!

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 08:51:53 PM »
Hey there Skittlez

First off...when you say blew out your knee with a torn ACL...who did the diagnosis??Was it the Hospital or your doctor etc + did you have an MRI scan? or did you see your doctor x2 and not go to the hospital?
Also, did the physio or Dr do specific tests on your knee (like the Lachman drawer test for example)?

Second off....do you know if your ACL is completely ruptured or partially torn (and if so by how much?)

These answers make quite a bit of difference to the course of action that people will suggest to you and if you can answer them Im sure it will help in advising you.....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 08:52:14 PM by andrewc »
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline XxSkittlezxX

• Regular Poster
    • My Myspace
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 09:01:27 PM »
I knew I was missing something!   :P  The night of the incident, I went right to the ER because the Athletic Trainer thought that I had broken my Tibia... wrong!  So not to long after that, we went to the knee guy at Annapolis Sports and Orthopedics and he did preform the Lachman's test and checked my rotator shift...  he right away said that I had completely torn my ACL but wanted to do an MRI to make sure nothing else was wrong.  The MRI said that I had only torn my ACL, and nothing else had happened.

Offline BridgetJones_uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • Love me love my knees!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 09:06:10 PM »
All I'm gonna say is is don't play the.....if it happens again, I'll get it sorted game.......I played that (even though mine was due to something different same rules apply).....and it actually took me six years before finally sorting it out.....because that time I couldn't sort out the dislocation myself and it happened in front of a lot of people.

Its not sensible....if the os/doc/physio think its sensible to play the waiting game then fine. Also get a proper look at it, see what your options are for now and what may happen in the future if you leave it.

I now have cartilage damage due to the number and severity of dislocations that I've had and am now having an op at 21 that could have been done when I was 12 or 15.

Trauma - Dislocation '96
Chondromalacia, PFS '01
Shallow trochlear groove, Patella Alta & tight ITB dx '03
Right Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope 2004
Left Modified Galeazzi, LR  2005
Redo Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope and medial reefing 2007
Right redislocation 2014

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 09:40:16 PM »
I'd say the surgery is well worth it. I wasn't able to have it when I tore my ACL (because it didn't exist). Less than 6 months later I tore my meniscus because of the instability. My ACL has since been rebuilt but the torn meniscus has caused me pain for over 30 years. It's been a far worse injury for me. My ACL was rebuilt 14 years ago and is still doing great. My meniscus is now completely gone and there's a knee replacement in my future.

I've had both spinal and general anesthesia and the spinal is something I will never ever repeat. It was horrible. General is the only way I'll do surgery. You fall asleep and in an instant the surgery is over. I've never gotten sick at all.

Offline Tash_Pitre

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 10:25:57 PM »
I waited a year to even go to the doctors and now my knee is worse than ever for all the times its given way. I also have no confidence to do anything as i think my knees gonna go. Quality of life is poor especialy when you cant even pllay a game a footbal with friends or even jump off a wall when you have to. Plus your young and have your whole life ahead of you. The op will be a short time evil for a lifetime of happiness.

All the Best

Offline allstardiva2005

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • Behind the Jersey
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 10:26:28 PM »
Surgery is definately worth it. I partially tore my ACL when I was 12 and had to wait for my growth plates to close- I returned to bball and completely tore my ACL two years later and had to have the surgery.

If you want any chance of playing sports- even just recreationally...I would suggest having the surgery b/c my ACL right now is absolutely great and I've had no problems w/ that ligament & its been 2 years later...

Plus you just play a waiting game for it to completely tear, when you could have the surgery and recover and hopefully be all good to go!

xoxo- Christy
Medial Meniscus Repair- '00,03
Partial Meniscectomy- '03, '04
ACL Reconstruction- '02
Exploratory Scope- '05
Allograft ACL Revision & Neuroma Excision- '06
Hardware Removal & Bone Filing- '06
Scar Tissue Removel- '07

** Medial meniscus transplant is in the near future... **

Offline XxSkittlezxX

• Regular Poster
    • My Myspace
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 03:14:10 AM »
Thanx for the help guys... (and girls)   ;)  All of this is making me want to get the surgery now just to get it over with but I'm well into Marching Band season and I can't back out...