Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Plica Removal  (Read 2149 times)

Stacey

Plica Removal
« on: August 19, 2002, 06:35:10 AM »
I found out the other day at phsyio while the PT was reading my history that i had plica removed when the LR was done (august 2000).  What exactly is this.  THe OS that did it said he just did the LR and nothing else.  Form the way it sounds on the board this is an entirly seperate procedure.  I get the idea that it is something that builds up and has to be removed.  Does it come back?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2002, 12:25:40 AM by admin »

Iona_-Uk

Re: Plica Removal
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2002, 07:48:52 PM »
It really depends on how the individual describes a plica really, my surgeon says it is an area which catches on another area and causes inflammation and pain, my PT calls it a rutch on tissue which causes the individual pain!.

Generally the explaination of a plica is an area in an otherwise normal knee joint that can cause pain due to injury or overuse, the problem is difficult to diagnose generally, but is easy to treat once diagnosis is made.

You may find this website got far more info
http://www.sechrest.com/mmg/pated/knee_problems/plica/knee_plica.html

Iona
« Last Edit: August 20, 2002, 12:26:50 AM by admin »

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 104
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 12:28:22 AM »
There is a section on 'plica' on the main site -
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/step_05_patella/step_05_plica.html
--
KNEEguru

Offline daisey

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 01:46:36 AM »
I had plicae removal in May.  Since this due to quads wasting I have started to track lateral.  My OS said that some people have plicae and some don't.  If you irritate the plicae it can cause alot of pain.  My OS thinks the first plicae was caused by trauma.  Most OS's like to try PT to calm it and as a last resort surgery.  I am now on my second round of PT for this.  I was also told that the area where the plicae is removed, fills with scare tissue.  I am now suffering for the same symptoms in the other knee, and also PFS.  My OS thinks that repetive squatting caused the other plicae to flare.  I am trying to avoid another surgery.  I have learned to be patient with PT,  it is not an overnight cure.  

My OS said the plicae excision was alot of insult to soft tissue and requires sometime to heal.  If you OS still says he did not remove your plicae,  get a copy of your operative report.  It will tell the truth.

Daisey

05-2002 Chondroplasty and plicae excision Rt knee
07-2002/11-2002 multiple rounds of physio
11-2002 Open MPFL reconstruction
11-2002/05-2003 Physio
07-2003 Cortisione injection due to return of pain
2005-2007 Cortisone injections bilateral knees
2007 LR LT knee
5/6/2010 TKR scheduled LT Knee

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 05:23:12 AM »
Hey Stacey!
Here is a really good site on plica problems.  It's even got motion diagrams!  I found it to be very helpful to explain the whole thing to myself.

Here's the link:

http://www.hughston.com/pated/plica/plicaindex.htm

Hope you are feeling a bit better now!

(((hugs))) n' healing

rhea
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Stacey

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 06:59:32 PM »
Thank you for all the information but now i have a smaller question.  Should this have been done at the same time as a LR?  Couldnt the plica removal have 'fixed' my problem to begin with without having to have an LR done (which has caused many problems).  One things stil unanswered is.... Does plica come back?  Will it ocur in both knees?  What tests can be done to see if that is the problem.

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2002, 09:59:10 PM »
Hi Stacey

I had plica removal with medial reefing, scar tissue removal and a lateral release, so yes it can be done all at the same time.

If the offending piece of tissue has been removed there is a chance still that the plica can re-occur, maybe in a different area, sometimes the do not remove the plica but use their skills to ease pain without the need for removal.

I think I may have a plica in the left knee and I am consulting my o/s again for another go at LR and surgery for next year, so again, yes it can occur in both knees.

Do get a copy of the operation report as you do need to be sure you have had plica surgery but you need to know what they actually did, it may be that you had plica divided rather than removed, but doo get it, it will be invaluable.

Iona