Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osgood Schlatters  (Read 5124 times)

Offline IronMonkey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Osgood Schlatters
« on: August 22, 2004, 10:04:49 AM »
Hi guys. I just joined and this is my first post. I have this "disease" and wanted to get some help.
I take martial arts (kung fu) and it was about a year ago when I had this problem come up. I thought it was nothing and would go away within weeks, but still on me today. I stopped going to Kung fu since beginning of the year, but I still do many activities I shouldnt be like playing basketball and running at P.E. in school. I know I should stop but its hard  :-/ Anyways, I wanted to get any help I can get from you guys and any of you that experienced this or still have it. Any tips or suggestions (anything at all to do with this) will be appreciated, thanks.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Osgood Schlatters
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 03:22:12 AM »
hello, both of my children have Osgood's and so did my husband as a boy. YOu didnt mention your age but from what the OS said and what I have read, Osgood's usually gets better after the child has stopped growing . Usually around 15-16 yrs old. My 16 yr old son hasnt had any problems with his in the last year or so but my 13 yr old daughter wears a brace (a strap that goes around the lower part of the knee). NOt much you can do about it but rest. Sorry I am not much help.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline lily spurlock

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 04:46:08 AM »
my brother has osgoods when he hit  a huge growth spurt.  He went on a 6day steroid pack to reduce all the inflamation.  he wore a knee brace while doing activity that he could tighten the strap right below the knee which helps to take pressure off.  He's fine today and recovered soon after he found out.

hope you feel better,

Lily
professional dancer with grade 3 chondromalacia, jumper's knee, and minor arthritis

Offline OSDKnees

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 07:16:26 PM »
I am 26 years old and I am one of the rare cases where the Osgood-Schlatter's did not go away after my teenage years.  I still have the big knots under my knee-cap and chronic pain that comes with running and other activity.

If I had to do it over again, I would have listened to my knees and stopped activity when the pain was intense, rather than pushing through it.  Also, I never wore good-quality shoes to help reduce the stress to my joints.

Be Careful!

Offline Avery

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 05:57:31 PM »
Hi im 19 and i have osgood whatever. I just joined this site cause I fractured my knee cap.

My osgood bothered me when I was 11 until I was 15. I protected my knee by wearing shin pads while playing pond or road hockey. It used to hurt from getting banged up real bad. The shin pads allowed for it to heal super tuff and I havn't had a problem with it since. Prior to fracturing my knee cap last tuesday and breaking my thumb, Ive had no problems or pain, running, playing hockey, swimming or any sport which I have been doing since I was 15.

Keep in mind I never saw a doctor for this because my parents neglected me as a kid, so I could have potentially hurt myself.

Try the knee/shin pads and wear good shoes!!! Take it easy for 4 months until the pain subsides and if your as lucky as me youll be fully functional.

Offline mikef

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 04:57:13 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm 21 and still suffering from OSD.  I got mine at around age 15 when I grew almost a foot in less than a year.  There were times I could barely walk.  However, being young, nieve and a sports-aholic, I just suffered thru the pain and continued to play sports.  

Now I am in my early 20's and feel like an old man some days.  I cant rest on my knees because the large lump are very painfull to put pressure on, and I cant keep my knees bent for long periods of time(long car rides kill me).  My knees also hurt after sports now.

I tried a knee brace and icing it, but nothing seemed to help.  My advise to anyone young suffering OSD right now is to just take it easy for a while and seek GOOD professsional help (I went to a hospital and they told me I had tendonitis, and got a second opinion later).

I'm almost afraid to know what my knees will be like in 20 years!!

Offline coyote

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
    • www.cardsblossom.com
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 06:36:18 AM »
Hello fellow lumpy knees,

As you read my tag line you'll see I had OS at 12 yrs- I'm 44 now. - a 6" growth spurt in Jr. High. I was a runner. I had so much pain that the Dr. said no PE, except swimming. So swimming it was- High school and in College. I still did ski and surf and play volleyball on occasion, but always with painkillers. I have  poor alignment  and just hopefully took care of one knee via the TTO. My advice is to not ignore it and try to get into a knee friendly sport. And always get second opinions. The lump on my knee is very pronounced and I cannot kneel on that knee - and now I cannot kneel on the other knee because of the TTO.  Good Luck,

Coyote
In full recovery!, (with a touch of arthritis during climate changes...)

Cheryl

Osgood Slaughter RK  12 yrs old
Lateral release LK 25 yrs old followed by 5 years in knee heaven
years of pain, naprosin and falls
moderate osteoarthirtis, subluxation
TTO , LK,  11/08/04

support