Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 1st surgery ever lft knee arthro. with OATS  (Read 837 times)

Offline Frogfan

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
1st surgery ever lft knee arthro. with OATS
« on: August 21, 2004, 12:17:54 AM »
:-/ :'( ???

Please help...I am having surgery, Outpatient this upcoming friday. I fell and this is how it happened...at work....

I am having arthroscopy in left knee and OATS also. I am nervous and scared of what it will be like. Having general anesthesia and it is outpatient...

They are giving me a morphine pump at home and a cryotherapy thing on my knee that plugs in to keep it cold and hoping painfree or less pain. I am concerned about meds to ask about for after the surgery I don't and cannt handle pain much..

pleae help I am terrified :)

email me

[email protected]
8-27-04 OATS Procedure
2-05 1st injection Hyalgan Injections
2-05 2nd injection of Hyalgan
3-14-05 3rd Injection of Hyalgan

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Runs with scissors
Re: 1st surgery ever lft knee arthro. with OATS
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 07:19:53 AM »
Dear Frogfan:

First of all, please don't be overly concerned about your upcoming surgery.  I understand how frightening it can be to be anticipating your first surgery...it's completely normal to feel that way.  But try to remember that you're having the procedure to make you better - and that's a GOOD THING!  Also, your doctor and the hospital staff really do know what they're doing, and they'll take very good care of you.  I've had 8 surgeries for my leg, and I've had excellent experiences with every single one of them - NO KIDDING!

As for pain control...you say they're sending you home with a morphine pump?  Believe me, your pain will be well under control with that puppy!  I recently had a double osteotomy (they cut through my tibia and my femur and placed a total of 7  3" screws and a 5 1/2" L-shaped plate) and I didn't even have a morphine pump for that surgery.  I think you'll be just fine.  However, if you are even the least bit concerned then talk with your OS about it BEFORE THE SURGERY so that he can write you a prescription and give it to you BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE HOSPITAL on the day of your surgery.  That way, you can get the prescription filled JUST IN CASE you need something more than the morphine (although, seriously, I can't believe you'll need more!).

Always remember that your OS should be responsive to your need to control your pain...and that only YOU can know how you feel.  Never be afraid to call your doctor if you have any concerns whatsoever.  

And your fellow kneegeeks are always here for you too.  Post us any time you need to vent!

Hugs!

Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

support