Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 1st surgery ever lft knee arthro. with OATS  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Frogfan

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
1st surgery ever lft knee arthro. with OATS
« on: August 21, 2004, 12:14:51 AM »
:-/ :'( ???

Please help...I am having surgery, Outpatient this upcoming friday. I fell and this is how it happened...at work....

I am having arthroscopy in left knee and OATS also. I am nervous and scared of what it will be like. Having general anesthesia and it is outpatient...

They are giving me a morphine pump at home and a cryotherapy thing on my knee that plugs in to keep it cold and hoping painfree or less pain. I am concerned about meds to ask about for after the surgery I don't and cannt handle pain much..

pleae help I am terrified :)

email me

[email protected]
8-27-04 OATS Procedure
2-05 1st injection Hyalgan Injections
2-05 2nd injection of Hyalgan
3-14-05 3rd Injection of Hyalgan

Offline jennwren

• Regular Poster
  • :o)
    • Captivate Me
Re: 1st surgery ever lft knee arthro. with OATS
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 02:33:51 AM »
It will be ok. I had arthroscopy a week ago.. for the 3rd time and although yes it is painful..  you have to keep your chin up and remember this is for the best.. it's better than suffering long term

Good luck to you. :)

Jenn
Jenn
1985 - patella fracture R Knee
1996- chipped bone from patella R Knee
1992 - 3 dislocations R Knee
1993- Arthoscopy R Knee
2001- Cartledge tear, Arthoscopy R Knee
2004- Lateral Release

Offline Frogfan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 02:54:29 AM »
Thanks..
What did they give you to recover and what happened with any of your surgerys?

I am just wanting to know what to expect as far as before or after and stuff thanks ;)
8-27-04 OATS Procedure

Offline jennwren

• Regular Poster
    • Captivate Me
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 04:27:04 AM »
After each of my surgery's they gave me percocet.. crutches and told me to go home.. keep it elevated and iced. I was up and walking 2 days after surgery..

This time it's been a little different though. I had a lateral release done.. and it's been much more painful than the others. I wasn't well prepared for what was going to happen.

Good luck to you.. and if you have more questions feel free to ask :)

jenn
Jenn
1993- Arthoscopy R Knee
2004- Lateral Release

Offline Frogfan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 08:57:28 AM »
Thanks..

I was not sure if you had the chiller machien and also what level percocet they gave you.

I appreciate the help :)

8-27-04 OATS Procedure

Offline jennwren

• Regular Poster
    • Captivate Me
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 09:08:24 AM »
nope no chiller,  up until today I didn't even know it existed.  the percocet is 5/325 mgs although I'm not sure what that means.

jenn
Jenn
1993- Arthoscopy R Knee
2004- Lateral Release

Offline Frogfan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 05:34:12 PM »
Thanks so much :)
8-27-04 OATS Procedure

Offline hop-a-long

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 03:04:29 AM »
Good luck frogfan

I wasn't sure what OATS is - but the arthroscopy does not hurt too much on it's own as long as nothing major is carried out.  I've had 3 now.  After the first one I was sore but I think that was more the after-effects of the leg break.  But the other 2 hurt much less than I expected.  Last one was as an outpatient and I only took painkillers for a couple of days, although the flexibility took a couple of weeks to come back fully.

However, I must admit I've got my ACL recon looming and it's scaring the hell out of me.  I keep asking if it will hurt more!  But I need to get it sorted so I fugure its worth it.

Hope it goes well for you. :D
March 2001 Tibial fracture and ACL tear whilst skiing.
June  2001 scope for arthrofibrosis
Sept 2003 screw removal and ACL removal
6th Sept 2004......ACL reconstruction

Offline Frogfan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 06:13:00 AM »
hello

Pretty much it is arthro with mine but they also have to go into the other side of my left leg and take bone from the non weight bearing area and transplant it..It is outpatient but I wish it was not, sending me home with a chiller machine for icing my leg and a morphine pump :(

Good luck with your leg..I have never had surgery or broke anything b4 in my life

Thanks for the input :) :)
8-27-04 OATS Procedure

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 09:54:28 AM »
Frogfan,

Check out the section regarding OATS.  There are a few regular posters there.  

I had an OATS procedure last year, but using allograft plugs since the damage was huge and they couldn't use autografts.  I stayed 23 hours in the hospital primarily because I've had 2 DVTs.  I had a CPM machine, a pain buster (basically a direct line of marcaine into the knee) for 5 days, and a cryotherapy unit.   I also had anti-inflammatory, pain, nausea, and sleep medications.  I barely used any of them except the Ativan for sleep because I used the CPM for 8 weeks and slept with it.  The pain buster took care of all the acute pain stuff.  The procedure was open, not via scope, so I have a 6 inch scar.  I had grafts on the medial femoral chondyle (and trochlea) so I was on crutches for about 12 weeks, either NWB or PWB.

Overall the surgery wasn't that bad, but I've had 5 surgeries on my left knee.  I thought the pain would be bad, but it wasn't at all.  The pain buster was great.  I iced constantly.  The toughest part was being completely NWB for 8 weeks.  I followed doctors instructions to the tee.  

I wish I could help you more, but I am not much of a worrier.  If you believe you have a good MD, they will take care of your properly from working with the right anesthesiologist to providing you with the appropriate standard or care.  Take you meds as prescribed, stick to doctors orders, and don't worry to much, and you will do fine.

Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline Frogfan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 07:12:02 PM »
Did u have help at home afterwards?

I am just scared they are letting me go home right after...

Thanks for the post.
8-27-04 OATS Procedure

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 07:48:34 PM »
Frogfan,

I have had 2 Oats.  One in Dec that was an arthroscope and the second one in Jun which was an open procedure.   The pain after the arthroscope was much more bearable than that of the open procedure.  I was sent home about 2 hours after the scope with crutches and tylenol with codene.  I also had the cyrocuff which helped alot.  I took the pain meds for about 2 days and then stopped because I hated the druged up feeling and switched to regular tylenol or motrin for the pain.  I found within a few days I really didnt need anything for the pain.  Except at night to sleep, it was very difficult finding a comfortable position so the pain meds helped with that.  I was NWB for 6 weeks and then PWB for a few more.  
As far as having help at home, my husband was there to help with things for the 1st week, after that he needed to get back to work and I was able to manage during the day.  Showering was very difficult...trying to balance on one leg and somehow jump up over the edge of the tub was always challenging.
Kids are great to have around too...my three were a big help!!  Get me this...get me that.  
If you have any specific questions just ask and good luck on Friday.
Kathy
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 12:29:34 AM »
Frogfan,

My sister picked me up the morning after surgery (officially I wasn't there for a day since it was 23 hours).   But pretty much I took care of myself after that.  I was at home for the first two weeks.  I figured out how to carry stuff (either back pack or fanny pack).  If I cooked I was able to transfer my food from the kitchen to living space one table at a time (from kitched counter to dining table to lamp table.  I was driving (although I wouldn't recommend it for someone having an open procedure) by 5 days post op.   I got myself to PT (which is an hour from where I live).   Make sure you have a shower chair and something to put over the brace (cast cover).  Don't do the plastic bag and duct tape routine.  There is a thread about cast covers on the board someone.  I posted a link to the one I use.

Also, I had my other knee scoped at the same time.  So I had 18 allograft plugs (10-15 mm each) on one knee along with a LR, menisectomy and a menisectomy on my right knee.   I couldn't even tell I had surgery on my right knee.

Kathy can give you the best insight since she had the arthroscopy OATS.

Where is you defect?  How large?

Really, you will be fine.  
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline Frogfan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 02:24:49 AM »
Hi.

My left knee is where the defect is and they are not syre how big until they get in there. I fell at work and broke off a piece of bone in the knee so that is on top of the defect. I am going home with morphine pump and also with cryocuff.

Thanks for the info I am just gonna hope everything will be ok and the shower thing sounds fun hehehe..I dunno bout that stuff I guess we'll see :)

Thanks

Sheri
8-27-04 OATS Procedure