Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 1st surgery ever lft knee arthro. with OATS  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Frogfan

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
1st surgery ever lft knee arthro. with OATS
« on: August 21, 2004, 12:14:00 AM »
 :-/ :'( ???

Please help...I am having surgery, Outpatient this upcoming friday. I fell and this is how it happened...at work....

I am having arthroscopy in left knee and OATS also. I am nervous and scared of what it will be like. Having general anesthesia and it is outpatient...

They are giving me a morphine pump at home and a cryotherapy thing on my knee that plugs in to keep it cold and hoping painfree or less pain. I am concerned about meds to ask about for after the surgery I don't and cannt handle pain much..

pleae help I am terrified :)

email me

[email protected]
8-27-04 OATS Procedure
2-05 1st injection Hyalgan Injections
2-05 2nd injection of Hyalgan
3-14-05 3rd Injection of Hyalgan

Offline michael59

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: 1st surgery ever lft knee arthro. with OATS
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 08:17:11 PM »
Hey how did it go?  Had my first and hopefully only one this year.   I suggest you read up on everything you can on your surgery.  I have just got my pc back on line and have missed a most opertune time to reserch my left knee delima.  I don't understand what an oats procedure is yet but I am off and running now.  But one thing I do understand is that my "OS" never has had the time to xplaine exactly what my situation was.  It seems that when they are working for their bred and butter organasations they only have fiveteen minuites or so to see a person, that is not a lot of time for a person to make an informed desison although sometimes just knowing what is going on is a help.  
A word of advice if your knee ingery is work related find yourself a good worker's comp lawer.  In this state their fee is governed by already set state insurance laws, beleive me if you let them take it in this state you cannot get it back.  The one I have has been a comp lawer for fiveteen years, all his client's (like me) arrive by word of mouth.  Hope your post-op pain deminnishes,that would mean the op was fine.  If not you are allready experincing the allnight, allday, all the time, screwed up life like me and some outhers I have been reading about.  
  I see that they are giving you the pump and the cryo thing.  They gave me the morphine/sulphate pills five to be exzact, told me to ice it, and use pillows.  Oh and also I had a script for fourty of them percosets or what ever they are. Any way I got the nerve block post op, after I woke up and was trying to get at my knee because it hurt soooooo bad.  The anest. gave me so much my leg was dead for three days, but once it wore off the pain has never left.  Hope every thing whent well with you.
    I suppouse a little background is in order.  I am 45, have worked in the woods 20 years, have logged up and down the pacific coast of this " US ".  My work title after my first 2 years became hooktender and what I did was run tower yarder brush crews, top and rig lift trees, supports and such over some of the most nasty broken busted ground known to humankind.  And since feb. tenth of this year I have been delagated down to shop bitch.  Have to suppourt seven childeren.
    I also did mine at work, cut something I now relise I should not have.  It was loaded and hit me in the shins thaking out my left knee.  Life is not so good any more and pills don't work at all.  
    take it easy frogfan, michael.

Offline Frogfan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 10:29:38 AM »
My surgery went ok. i have been having a lot of pain so my Dr has me on percocet and also vistaril to help increase their effect. I also am now taking ambien because I cannot sleep the whole night through because it hurts. I have a good lawyer. what do you mean once they take it you cannot get it back? confused me.

I am going to PT 3 x a week and trying real hard to get better. hope you get better.

thanks

sheri
8-27-04 OATS Procedure

Offline michael59

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 06:25:30 PM »
In this state Oregon, once your acount is finalized that is it.  So you have to know every thing about everything that is wrong or not right with your knee.  The doc's are paid by SAIF and  SAIF is state controlled.  It is kind of funny a state monopalby with no antitrust laws broken???
    Any way hope your pain subsides soon.  If it don't hope you don't turn into a drug addict like what nearly happen to me.   Oh one more thing I now have dreams where I hobble around, how destressing, but living with pain 24/7/365, since 02/10/04, xcept during the drug filled days.  hope you do beter than I.  Michael

Offline Frogfan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 08:07:38 PM »
there is nothing else they can do for you?
Physical therapy??

that is what i am doing and stecteches to try and help it...I do not have to take meds every day thank god...

hope you get better
8-27-04 OATS Procedure

Offline michael59

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 06:31:57 AM »
Hey frogfan glad for you, I am trying to live with the pain.  pt is over, the lawyer and SAIF are battling it out now.  If you research knee things what pops up the most  is  gets better or  withdraws from sport. I think that is where I am at the withdrawing part.  Well I see your windy season is about over, but our mountain is about to blow... oh gooody, things are hopin in the "US".
    Don't know how I am going to hunt my hounds this winter but what the he(ll), sometimes we have to deal with the curves, I just wish they all would not happen in the same year.   Michael

Offline Frogfan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 06:57:52 AM »
Good luck I hope things get better for you. stay safe and well :)
8-27-04 OATS Procedure