Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Kayaking and ACL Reconstruction  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Tash_Pitre

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Kayaking and ACL Reconstruction
« on: August 20, 2004, 06:11:02 PM »
Hey guys!!

I was wondering whether any of you would know how long it would take after LR before you can kayak again. Its a sit down sport but you have to keep you legs in a bent position, like a ballet dancer bending down, knees out, on its toes (if you know the move that i mean) and you have to squeeze your knees against the top of the kayak.

I do a public service course at college and have just found out that i have to do kayaking once a week as part of the course.

Any info or suggestions would be kindly appreciated.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 06:11:46 PM by Tash_Pitre »

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: Kayaking and ACL Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 11:04:20 PM »
Hey Tash

I have a touring Kayak..............Dagger Prospect 15.5 ft.
I use a foam block under my knee to keep it in position and wear my brace. I do have a difficult time getting in and out because I can't bend enough so I put the bad leg in first. I have to put the leg in straight. I can't do white water kayak because you need a lot of knee pressure against the side esp doing Eskimo rolls.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 11:20:47 PM »
Hi there....

Tash_Pitre.....just to clarify something.....when  you say LR I take it you mean "ligament reconstruction"???
The reason I ask is that this term is normally used for/ and stands for ......."Lateral Release" which is a completely different procedure!!!

If it is the ACL recon you mean then I would have thought it is all dependant on your recovery time and your surgeons protocol.....

That said, you may be allowed to do a sport of this nature earlier than an impact sport like football or running....
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline Tash_Pitre

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 12:52:26 AM »
Ah man i just assumed it meant ligament reconstruction  :-[ dont know what a lateral release is. Just trying to get used to all of ya slang. I'm also confused with degree of movement thing, i assumed that straight leg was 180 degrees and now i think im wrong with that to  ??? *toddles off to abbreviation topic*

Anyway thank you both for your help.

support