Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Synvisc Injections  (Read 2054 times)

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Synvisc Injections
« on: August 20, 2004, 02:09:10 PM »
I was referred to an OS for a TKR a year ago.  I had a lateral release at 22 and the surgeon found severe osteoarthritis at that time.  My knee has been a problem ever since, but I have kept it under control by being very active.  I fell down some stairs 1 1/2 years ago, and walking has been extremely difficult ever since.  I have a fairly active job, so I have been unable to work.  Had a scope last May and the OS found lots of bone on bone throughout the knee.  I finally saw a surgeon for the TKR Monday and he said I was too young and want to be too active - I'm 51.  Said my new knee would only last 10 years or less???  He wants to try Synvisc injections first.  He did say that if the Synvisc doesn't work, he will do the replacement immediately.  I have my first injection on Monday.  Has anybody had any luck with the Synvisc injections?  I really want my life back!!

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Synvisc Injections
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 05:53:24 PM »
I am also considering Synvisc. My OS told me that it only works in about 40% of the people, but that it is miraculous for those it does help. Also, you get better results with early arthritis than when it is advanced. I figure it is worth a try. If it works, it can be repeated every six months.

Look down in the arthritis sections lower on this forum. There is a section for injections. You may find some more info there from someone who has had the Synvisc.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 10:54:47 PM »
I had the injections but they were worthless for me. The success rate for people that are bone on bone is very low. Not worth the pain and hassle with the insurance company in my opinion.

Offline jennwren

• Regular Poster
  • :o)
    • Captivate Me
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 11:06:58 PM »
My doctor mentioned Synvisc before he did my lateral release because my cartledge is very soft and breaking off slowly. I haven't decided whether to do it or not either. Sounds pretty painful... and if it's really not going to work why bother?

Let us know if it works for you.. I'd be interested in seeing how it goes for you.

Good luck

jenn
Jenn
1985 - patella fracture R Knee
1996- chipped bone from patella R Knee
1992 - 3 dislocations R Knee
1993- Arthoscopy R Knee
2001- Cartledge tear, Arthoscopy R Knee
2004- Lateral Release

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 01:47:03 AM »
Jenn,

SYNVISC has a 50% or more success rate for people who have damaged cartilage, like you.  It's only when you have worn away the cartilage and are bone on bone that the success rate goes down.  It's well worth trying as an alternative to surgery!  

My intra-articular knee injections weren't fun, but they were no worse than getting a cavity filled at the dentist.  I didn't have the SYNVISC, though.

You may want to look at the bottom section of this page about joint injections--lots of people have great results with SYNVISC, especially when it is mixed with cortisone.

Don't make a decision based on someone else's experience, because knee issues are very unique.  Your situation is going to be different from mine, so you need to be guided by your doctor.  SYNVISC is far from 'quack' therapy, it really has proven to be very helpful for people with a wide range of issues.  I'm considering getting it as well, but I've had so many past knee infections that the doctor is a little leary....

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Mitidai

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 05:38:30 PM »
I am 49 and need a tkr on my left knee.   My os says I'm too young.  My knee is bone on bone and I'm in constant pain and it is beginning to rule my life.  I have had two synvisc injections and have the third Wed. I haven't noticed much of a difference.  At times my knee is not as stiff and the pain is not as constant.  But beyond that when the pain is there it's just as bad as before.  The times the pain is not there are not for a very long period.  I think my oa is way to advanced for synvisc to work, but we'll see.  My other knee is also going down the same road.  Guess I better get used to doctors, surgeries and injections.

JAN : >:(
9-2002 medial menisectomy left knee
11-2003 lateral menisectomy and microfracture left knee
11-2003 fractured cartilage left knee
lateral menisectomy right knee 1-2005
microfracture right knee 1-2005
tkr left knee 1-2006
arthroscopy and lateral femoral chondroplasty 9-2006

support