Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bending Problems-Consider this!  (Read 1188 times)

Offline pegleg1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bending Problems-Consider this!
« on: August 20, 2004, 12:15:10 PM »
I see so many posts on this site about bending problems, low ROM after many weeks post op, fear of scar tissue and so on. And I've been right there with all of you in the dissapointment, discouragement and pain. But, I have made a significant turnaround in my recovery, and I think it's in a few key changes in the approach taken....maybe these would be worth talking to your doc about for yourself!

The first change, and probably the one I was most hesitant about was going on antidepressants. The recovery process definately has been depressing, but I've never liked the idea of drugs of any kind. But my PT brought up that some antidepressants, in a low dosage, can calm pain in ways that a narcotic or anti-inflamatory ever could. Since I've started taking them, I sleep much better, feel more motivated to do my exercises, and am in less pain!

Along with the medication change, I also am getting Cortizone in my knee. At first I didn't want to get it because I hate needles, and the idea of one going into my knee while I'm conscience is enough to make me sick! But the way that my PT is doing it is through electrodes! It's a special system especially for this purpose. You saturate an electrode with the medicine, and place it where you have the most pain. Then another electrode goes on the upper thigh. The electrical current slowly pulls the medicine through your skin into your knee. As crazy as this sounds, I am a whole-hearted believer in it. Last week before the treatment I couldn't get past 85 and would cry the whole time during PT. Today, I made a full revolution on the bike and didn't shed a tear!

I know that every PT and OS approach things differently and can be critical of possible soulutions, but my advice is to think about these options! They have definately changed my additude. I'm happier, in less pain, and can even drive now!

Best of luck to everyone in their healing!
LR and MR, femural patella syndrome, full knee dislocation and too many subluxes!

Offline whatzmyname

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Bending Problems-Consider this!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 10:52:40 AM »
As you know we are both in the same boat with regard to ROM. Mine is 100 degrees at the moment and not moving. Can I buy cortizone at the pharmacy and ask my PT to put it on the e-stim. Do you think that will work? At the moment I am taking Brufen, which helps for the pain. Voltaren is useless. Anyways I will just try my best because that is all I can do.
Torn ligaments due to dislocation
Fractured retropatella (back of kneecap)
Arthroscopy
8/6/2004

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 10:39:47 PM »
The treatment you are describing is called iontophoresis.  There is also phonophoresis, where cortisone cream is used with ultrasound therapy--it really feels wonderful.

Ask your doctor to prescribe iontophoresis.  Or you can ask your PT if he/she will do it without a script--mine had pretty much free reign to do whatever they wanted.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline pegleg1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 03:56:54 AM »
My therapist had all of the equipment at his office, and it requires special patches to put the cortizone in. I wouldn't try to tackle it on your own....just talk to your PT and your OS about it. But it's definately worth the trouble!

Good luck on getting more ROM!
LR and MR, femural patella syndrome, full knee dislocation and too many subluxes!

support