Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: acl,pcl,lcl Reconstruction  (Read 2296 times)

Offline tjs97

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
acl,pcl,lcl Reconstruction
« on: August 17, 2004, 05:39:22 PM »
Hi I am new here and did not know were to post this anyway i dislocated my knee on 7\21\04, in a traing mishap so this is all workmens comp, whent to the er and had it reset. got in to my os on 7\23 he checked it out and recomended surgy had it on 7\30 the surgy was 5 and half hours long but it was all completed through small incisions my i os did a acl,pcl lcl reconstruction the mcl had a grade 2 tear so he left it alone to try to heal by it self. The stay in hospital stay was three days  they put me on a cpm the second day and got me to 60 degres that is where i was told to stay when i left and no weight bering on the leg whent back for check up 1 week latter took stichets out and was told i could put slight weight on leg ask about pt and was told it would be awhile he said the allografts seemed to be doing fine but the was a little lose but that was ok also said to not go past 60 on cpm. next check up in 2 weeks. just wondering if any body out has the same type on injury and  how long it to recover      
                                      thaks for any input
i forgot to put in their that i damage a nerve and got foot drop wornding what the chances of it healing are
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 05:53:47 PM by tjs97 »

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
Re: acl,pcl,lcl Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 07:19:16 PM »
Hey there...

Whoa...that sounds one nasty injury! How did you do it exactly?
Hope your feeling a bit better after your surgery....
Youve had pretty major reconstruction to your knee so you can expect quite a long road ahead.....

I only know of one other person who has torn acl,pcl, plc damage (and mcl) and they are still in pt 12 months after the accident so be vey dedicated to your physio to ensure the best recovery possible....

All the best
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 05:49:49 AM by andrewc »
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline Gab

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Boston, USA
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 09:20:02 PM »
I think Phillip injured a bunch of stuff including ACL and postero-lateral corner but I doubt anybody here tore their 4 main knee ligaments  :o

Boy that must have hurt..

Wish you all the best as well.
April 14th, 2004: Floor hockey accident, complete ACL tear (left knee).
June 11th, 2004: ACL reconstruction, patellar tendon autograft.
January 21st, 2005: Cyclops Lesion removal

Offline tjs97

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 05:50:24 AM »
we were doing survial drills, one called the buddy drill its basicly a pig back ride while running i had a 230 pound guy on my back and i weigh 200 made about 2 steps and i steped wrong and boom i was on the ground with a total weird feeling leg. u shoud see the x rays their are befutial it acutialy hurts more now then when i hurt it. me and the instuctor were talk and jokeing he could belive i was not in sever pain he actualiy thought i was jokeing when i said i hurt my leg it must have been the shock of it or somthing the put me on lortab and i took it every 4 hours till i had surgy on, it keep the pain away
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 06:01:04 AM by tjs97 »

Offline Philip

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 05:33:21 PM »
Hey there - what a bummer....
I managed not to tear my PCL, but ripped some other tendons and had a fracture and luckily or amazingly I have no nerve damage. (see below)

You can see some of my posting on the collateral ligament page. The title is something with ACL,LCL healing chances. Also Grudier is another candidate who has a similar injury (see his posting) or do a search.

I am really amazed that they only used small incisions for you surgery. I have two 20cm scars in the front and lateral side of the knee - but my surgery only took 2.5 -3 hours.

I can only say that so far I have been doing really well, I am 4 months post op and went for my first 20 min run last week and it felt great - my rom is 0-125.

I guess the major difference between our injurys is that you have some nerve damage which is hard to predict when it heals and thus it might take a bit longer - although I don't know much about that.

The first 6 weeks were really a test of patience as I wasn't allowed to do much - up to 90 degrees and only minimal wheight bearing (mainly because of the fracture)

Anyway stay in there and be positive it will heal although it will take a while (the told me if I am really lucky and stay without complication I can go back to contact sports in 9-12 months).

Keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers,
Philip

6/4/04 Kiting accident: ACL, LCL, Biceps femoris tendon and Ilio tibia band ripped, fractured tibia below plateau.
14/4/04 OP: Reconstructing ACL, repairing  also the other damages

Offline shambles

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 07:53:01 PM »
Hi tgjs97

I'm  sorry to hear of your accident.   Your injury sounds ALOT like mine.   I slipped on a hospital floor 10 months ago.  I dislocated my knee, tore the ACL/PCL/LCL, broke the fibula and tore the peroneal nerve which is why I also have "Foot Drop".
My OS and I decided not to have any surgery at the time because I had had a heart attack only 3 months earlier.
I was in hospital 7days. (4 days longer that when I had the heart attack) lol
I was no weight bearing for 3 months and  the brace locked.  At first PT was 3 times a week but I wasn't  to do anything.  Later my PT would hold my leg and ever so slightly bend it. I finally got ROM to 120degrees which is ok for me.  Im not very active.  :(
Because of the Foot drop, I have to wear a brace 24 hours a day.  Can't take the chance of it locking up and never being able to walk again.....  I've had 2 EMG's, both indicated no nerve regeneration.  My Foot OS is giving me 18months to see if anything changes then we are discussing a "Posterier Tibial Tendon Transfer".  Its not a nerve transfer as that isn't a possiblilty for me, but will hold the foot in a permanent 90 degree angle to assist in walking.
As far as my knee goes, the only problem I have is slight pain on the inside knee when i turn in my sleep.

If it weren't for the foot drop I feel my life would be almost back to normal.

Best of luck to you.
~shambles~

HEART ATTACK  7/03
Disclocated knee, torn ACL/PCL/LCL, broken fibula, peroneal nerve damage a.k.a. foot drop
no surgery due to heart attack  
shambles-------------->walking loser
HEART ATTACK 8/05

Offline shambles

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 07:59:03 PM »
p.s.    Are you experiencing any "nerve"pain in your foot?  I found that it was more painful than the knee and tried several meds before finding comfort with Elavil.
I still have breakthrough pain but its mostly at night as Im drifting off to sleep.   I don't know why but I also have major edema in that foot.  Could be related to the Elavil.  ???
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 08:00:21 PM by shambles »
~shambles~

HEART ATTACK  7/03
Disclocated knee, torn ACL/PCL/LCL, broken fibula, peroneal nerve damage a.k.a. foot drop
HEART ATTACK 8/05

Offline tjs97

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 06:01:34 AM »
the nerve pain in foot was terrible but i got some meds (neurontin) it helps a lot but some times i still need to take some lortab to help.

what kind of  incision did they make on your knee.
i've got two, one is a 1.5 inch long the other is 1 inch and three small holes for scope and tools?

Offline shambles

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 07:17:24 PM »
Do you have to wear a foot brace?  If so what kind?   Have you had an EMG?
~shambles~

HEART ATTACK  7/03
HEART ATTACK 8/05

Offline tjs97

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2004, 02:45:56 PM »
i got to wear a afo foot brace anytime i go some wear the main thing the doc told me is to keep the tendon strech so it dos not shrink i have not had a emg yet but he was more woried about get the knee fix and i am only 3 wek post op

Offline NateTheGreat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 02:08:27 AM »
Hey,
I tore my menisucs, acl, mcl, lcl, and pcl, and fractured the bone in april.  I've still got a long way to go too. I was told it would be at least a year.  Its a very slow and painful process.
good luck...

Nathan

support