Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Congenital Hip Displaysia  (Read 903 times)

Offline pixiecat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Congenital Hip Displaysia
« on: August 23, 2004, 04:10:48 PM »
I was diagnosed with bilateral Congenital Hip Displaysia as a child and one orthopedic surgeon I saw years ago suggested that it might be the cause of the subsequent problems I've had with both my knees.  

As a child I was treated by a professor of Pediatric Orthopeadics at a large University who told my mom that I could have surgery, but that if it was his daughter he wouldn't operate and as the problems were not that severe (a little bit of pain and walking 'pigeon-toed') they decided to try exercises, ballet, horse-riding and shoes that trained me to turn my hips.  I haven't had any pain in my hips for a long time, but I've had  problems with my knees (frequently dislocating my patella) since I was 15 (half my life!).  

I was just wondering if anyone else also had Congenital Hip Displaysia ever diagnosed or whether anyone had any thoughts on the theory.  I mentioned this to the consultant I saw last and he ordered an x-ray of my hips but didn't comment much further.  I only saw him very briefly.

Offline princesstina

• Regular Poster
  • My OS says I can trip on a single blade of grass!
Re: Congenital Hip Displaysia
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 07:47:28 PM »
my son was diagnosed with hip displaysia at birth and had surgery at 2 months. At age 7 he was diagnosed with Perthes disease and leg legnth discrepancy.
The dr said then that he would need more surgery and probably soon.
6 years later at age 13(14 in January) he has not had surgery and rarely has pain. He is about 5ft6 inches tall and wears a size 11 & 1/2 shoe! I think he is goign to be HUGE!

Also my sister was born with this condition as well. She had surgery when she was young(2 years old) but doctors told my parents that she would need lots of surgery and that she would be in a wheel chair by age 30. She played volleyball and was a cheerleader in High school. She is 35 and most defintely not in a wheel chair! She is more at home on a Mountian Bike! :o ;D ::)

So that's what I know!
messed up knees since high school. 1998 R knee arthoscopyx2 once for repair,once for removal
6/15/04 L knee arthoscopic LR

Offline pixiecat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Congenital Hip Displaysia
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 08:35:02 PM »
Mine's genetic too - my dad and sister have it too.

I've not had any of the problems they said could potentially develop and no real pain either (I did as a young teenager) just like your sister.