Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL recon..brace type 4 sports?  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Aubz87

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Times like these
ACL recon..brace type 4 sports?
« on: August 20, 2004, 02:17:52 AM »
what kind of brace can i expect to wear to return to sports after my ACL recon, and meniscial repair??

I'd hope it wouldn't be too big...

thanks
Aubrie
Torn ACL and mensicus in march...
ACL reconstruction july '03 allograft
Medial Meniscus repair july '03

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: ACL recon..brace type 4 sports?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 05:10:25 AM »
it depends on your OS's view on the whole brace issue.  I work for one of the top sport's medicine doctor in the country and he does not use any type of brace during ACL recovery.  Research has shown that braces are not necessary, and in certain circumstances can actually cause further injury.  They generally are ineffective during high torsion activities such as basketball or soccer.  They are more for your peace of mind.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 12:06:04 PM »
Interesting point that one AT soccergirl.... ::)

Though if you are wearing a brace to play it safe or if your recon hasnt gone 100% to plan I would have thought that a DonJoy Extreme or Donjoy4point  or something similiar is at the top of the tree for wearable sports braces...........
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 04:38:20 PM »
If Aubie is a soccer player I would not recommend any of the Donjoy braces.  The Donjoy braces have a posterior tibial shell, which can interfere too much with the calf muscle leading to cramping or in extreme cases compartment syndrome.  In the cases we see where bracing is required, such as poor graft stability, or for peace of mind of the athlete we use townsend braces, typically the premier series for smaller athletes, and the townsend air series for bigger athletes.  
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 04:39:07 PM by ATsoccergirl »
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Aubz87

• Regular Poster
  • Times like these
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 08:06:56 PM »
Thanks for the opinons, :) I'll deffinatly keep them in mind for my next visit to the OS...

wearing a brace during playing would make me feel more confident i think, as long as i knew it wouldnt be hurting me further..

thanks!
Aubrie
Torn ACL and mensicus in march...
ACL reconstruction july '03 allograft
Medial Meniscus repair july '03

Offline GW

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 03:07:59 AM »
I am one for not wearing a brace because in a way if you have to wear a brace your not really ready to go back playing. What I do to give me some confidence and a little reminder is put tape under my knee right over the patella region which gives you a little support and tension that you can feel..
You can buy a brace that does the same trick but I don't know what it is called??? I had one but it mostly falls down and you end up taping it anyways..

Offline Philip

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 01:27:09 PM »
Interesting...I am just looking at braces but I know I would not wear any of those really big ones. Also, my surgeon, despite multi-ligament damages said that I will not need a brace and should rather work on my PT.
My PT said a similar thing in that if I need it for peace of mind then I should by one, but definitely no funtional knee braces as my knee is functioning fine....

Cheers,
Philip
6/4/04 Kiting accident: ACL, LCL, Biceps femoris tendon and Ilio tibia band ripped, fractured tibia below plateau.
14/4/04 OP: Reconstructing ACL, repairing  also the other damages