Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain on sitting/don't know what to do next  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Donna68

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Pain on sitting/don't know what to do next
« on: November 02, 2002, 07:01:31 PM »
I've had pain in my right knee for 18 months, I had x-rays and my consultant said I could have one of two things, plica syndrome or a mal-tracking problem, he gave me the choice of an arthroscopy or to go and have physiotherapy, this was exactly 12 months ago, I had physio for about 5 months and over the summer concentrated on doing my excercises, basically the pain is the same, I can't sit for long periods of time, I did a desk job and had to give it up because of the pain, if I miss my exercises for just one day my knee is very stiff, I can't crouch, if I do the pain is worse and takes ages to settle again, I don't even bother to try and kneel down any more.

I am about to go back and see my consultant to see what he says but I was interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this, I have read as much as i can on the boards, I am worried about recovery times if I have treatment, will it make it worse?  I am a very busy mum and I can't afford to be off my feet for very long, this is mainly why I have put up with the pain for so long.  I would be grateful for any advice.
Arthroscopy - plica excision - chondroplasty Jan 03 - OA

Iona_-Uk

Re: Pain on sitting/don't know what to do next
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2002, 08:32:36 PM »
Hi
Welcome to our lovely board.

I am sorry to hear that you had to give up work because of your knee pain.

Have you seen your surgeon since he gave you the choice of surgey or physio?. I think that because it has got so bad for your, it may be worth having an arthrocopy, if that is what your surgeon recommend, to have a look insde at some point, maybe not at the moment, as your surgeon may decide on some other course of action.

Certainly, if it as just  basic arthroscopy with nothing done, you could be back on your feet within a few days, although it may be uncomfortable.

If you had to have anything done (plica removal/lateral release/trimming of the structures) then it may take you a while to recover.

It would worthseeing and discussing this with your surgeon as to whether it would be a suitable option for you.

Good luck
Iona

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 101
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2002, 02:02:25 PM »
Hi
Welcome to the board.
Remember that there is a whole site as well as the board, and in specific I refer you to the plica section:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/step_05_patella/step_05_plica.html
You don't tell us much about your discomfort.  Plicae differ in their symptoms, depending on where the plica is, how big it is, whether or not it has been injured in a incident.  There are really only two that are most likely to be a problem in the knee - the medial plica, which is a fold of joint lining extending from the area above the kneecap, under its medial (inner) edge and going towards the inner aspect of the tendon under the kneecap (patellar tendon/fat pad area).  This one tends to get caught under the upper inner edge of the kneecap during flexion and extension (bending and straightening), and is tender on the upper, inner aspect of the kneecap, where it can form a little roll and be rolled under the finger tips.  Sometimes you can feel it catching on bending down slowly as it snaps over the edge of the upper rounded end of the thighbone (femur).  Note that not all plica are symptomatic - some people are born with them and have them all their lives without problems. It is like biting your cheeks - once bitten you are likely to have a thickened band and bite the same area again soon after.

The other type of plica is less commonly accepted as being problematical, but I firmly believe that it is a common missed cause of knee problems.  This is the suprapatellar plica, which extends across the top of the kneecap from side to side, and gets caught under the kneecap too, being trapped by the undersurface of the quads tendon (the quadriceps expansion).  This is commonly felt by the finger tips above the kneecap, and again often a roll of tissue can be felt and is tender. If you sit on the floor with the legs out straight and have your finger tips in the right position pushing down on the kneecap, and then you contract the quads forcibly to try to pull the kneecap upwards, this often causes pain if there is a plica there.

Besides pain, and local tenderness, a plica can often mimic a meniscal tear, with jointline pain on the medial side, and giving way and pseudo-locking or catching.

Pain and stiffness after sitting with the legs under the desk (or in an aeroplane) are fairly classical symptoms.

KNEEguru
« Last Edit: November 03, 2002, 02:05:47 PM by admin »
--
KNEEguru

Offline Donna68

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2002, 06:16:22 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies.  I have followed the link for the information on plicae and have decided I must go back and see my consultant and maybe have the arthroscopy, if that's what he recommends still.  When I went to see him last year I didn't fully understand what it all meant, this site has been great.
Thanks again.
Arthroscopy - plica excision - chondroplasty Jan 03 - OA

support