Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PostOp screw removal from TTT & Thank U!  (Read 1565 times)

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
PostOp screw removal from TTT & Thank U!
« on: August 17, 2004, 06:33:56 AM »
Hey all~

Decided to post this thread so others debating screw removal sugeries could read it and see what it entails.

Obviously from my spazzed out post on the crisis board...Please expect some bleeding!!!

I did know it would bleed, but the blood was so dark and had saturated my bandages that I was scared it was bleeding too much. I had my leg elevated in the car on the ride home and we stopped to fill my RX and when I got out I noticed my ace had blood on it already. I did freak, but unneccessarily though.  ;D Maybe it was the Wally World customers pointing out that I was bleeding that helped me freak out?  ::)

Within the next day the bleeding had subsided but continued to ooze a bit. After 72 hours, I removed my bandages.

I only have two tiny incisions that are closed with one suture each, they are along my previous scar line.

I'm almost a week post op and still have some pain. I think it's from the sutures pulling though. I'm not sure as to my limitations as far as being on it, etc. But I'm definitely not going to the gym until after my first post op which is the 23rd.

After the inital surgery and for about 2 days following, I had that good ole blood rush every time I stood up. I think my knee is more sensitive to pain given all the trauma it has endured. I also was not instructed to use ice this time, maybe I wasn't supposed to or maybe my OS assumed I knew to? Either way, I didn't ice it. I would def. ask if icing should be done to alleviate a lot of what I went through.

I did get to keep my screws and OH MY  :o  are they huge! Nice souveniers I think. I was amazed at Heather G's pictures of hers, however, I do believe we have a matching set! LOL!  

All in all it was a simple adventure (taking into account my past) and I'm glad it's over. I only had a local w/ heavy sedation and I requested "happy juice" prior because I get all nervous before surgeries.

I will keep everyone updated as to whether that terrible shin pain is gone for good.

I think my surgeries for the left knee are complete at this point. I have to find out what happened to my referral so I can have the right checked out again as it is in horrible shape. I may have to wait on that because next month is bunion surgery on the right foot. My whacked out gait has really helped the bunion become symptomatic again. Does it ever end???

I'm open to any questions that anyone comes across if they are debating having a screw removal done. I think my contact info is listed in my profile.

Hugs to all,
Heather AKA the BAJA SURVIVOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A special thanks to everyone here who helped educate me and assited me in finding the resources in which I did to overcome this horrible knee issue. I don't know where I would be without the emotional support this board provided me. I am forever indebted to you all. I wish nothing but the best for everyone here. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!  :-* :'( :-*
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline LisaL

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: PostOp screw removal from TTT & Thank U!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 07:04:00 AM »
My husband (then boyfriend) wanted to keep my TTT screw once it was removed.  My OS gave me the washer instead....said it would be better to put on a chain.

My husband still has it somewhere.
1991 - 1996 Multiple L Patellar Subluxations
1996 - LR & TTT Left Knee
2004 - R Patellar Dislocation & Avulsion Fracture
LR & Chondroplasty 7/14/04

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 07:42:23 AM »
Thanx for the info. Something is going on with my knee and I think the screws are gonna have to come out. I had no idea the bleeding would be that bad so at least I'll know to expect that.

I wonder; did anyone else have the blood rush with their screw removal?

cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 06:49:42 PM »
Just some clarification.....in case the blood rush comment scared anyone....it was NO WHERE near as bad as w/ the TTT. I could tolerate it just fine and it only lasted for about a minute or two. I also forgot to mention that my bone was completely healed when I had the procedure. I know sometimes ppl have them out before the bone is totally healed and that changes the post op protocol dramatically.
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 06:55:07 PM »
heather...glad to hear at least it's done...hope you're feeling okay...hang in there and i'll be sending hugs and good thoughts your way...

best

ron

are you going to put the screws some place special or make them into a keychain...i know if i have to get mine out...i'm making them into a hood ornament....got an appt with a top guy at the hospital for special surgery....even with my friends' connection had to spend 10 min talking them into seeing me as i 've had multiple surgeries...told them i just need a top doc to consult and advise what's ahead for the next few yrs..they bought it and hopefully on the 31st i can get some more info...pm doc is next...hope you're feeling better soon 8)
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 06:08:18 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I actually think I have an infection now. I've just put a call into my OS. The top suture is VERY RED and so painful to the touch. It's streaking down twoards the bottom one as well. I actually get to "see" my OS Monday. Preop I didn't see him really and before the surgery, I had already been given the happy juice cocktail so I don't remember much. I'm hoping it's just because of sutures and nothing more.

Ron- I'm so glad you got that appointment. Keep us posted on how it goes!  

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 08:07:52 PM »
Hey Heather-

I really hope that the redness is just due to you body not liking the sutures!!!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hugs-
Heather G.
Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries