Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I badly need advice  (Read 956 times)

Offline choudhury

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
I badly need advice
« on: August 17, 2004, 01:15:34 AM »
I just don't know if should have a arthroscopy surgery or not.  The surgeon wants to flush out loose particles on my left knee.  However at this present moment i feel no pain, i can bend my knee's right down and i feel no pain, though there is a bit of clicking and strain.  i can run, jump, cycle, no problem.  When i'm working at a supermarket, my legs do get tired very easily mainly because i have to stand.  However when i bend down when the legs are tired, there is quite a bit of strain as i bend down and get up.

My knee is usually stiff when i have to dive around and bend the knee's a lot when i'm playing soocer as a goal keeper.  There is a lot of strain.  I'VE HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR A YEAR AND A HALF and i am now only 21 years old.

I asked my GP and he reckons i should go through with the surgery.

Basically i just don't know what to do, basically what i forgot to ask, how worse can my knee get if i don't have surgery and or if i do have surgery, will the problem comeback again?

any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated as i can't find any cases that are similar to mine.

Offline Chester

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: I badly need advice
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 01:31:21 AM »
One of the problems with loose bodies floating around is that sometimes one of them gets stuck in a place that it shouldn't and either it hurts like heck or your knee might lock up.  Think of it like putting sand or gravel into a cars transmission.  Everythings great until something gets caught in the gears.  Then it all stops.  Something must have given your surgeon the idea that there were loose things in there.  This isn't major surgery and it's the type that pro athletes have and are back on the field within a couple of weeks.

That's just my opinion.
1980 - lateral menisectomy
1983 - Clean-out scoping
1984 - Lateral release (1)
1988 - Lateral release (2)
1993 - Clean-out scoping (2)
2004 - Wonderful OA sets in

Offline Tash_Pitre

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 08:37:10 PM »
Hey There!!

I think that if your surgeon feels that it is necesary the you should accept the advice from an expert. He is experienced so must know the consequences of this injury if not operated on.

Besides if you live in england you may as well take the opportunity as it arises, what with long waiting lists and that plus its at no cost to you on the NHS. I dont know how other medical systems work in other countries so if cost is an issue it may be a different matter.

Take Care

Offline choudhury

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 02:15:00 AM »
Nah cost is not an issue and yeah i'm with NHS.

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 03:57:06 AM »
choudhury

I would definately have the surgery if the surgeon has recommended it. Loose bodies in the knee are a classic starter symptom for further menscal damage when the knee is being pushed through sporting activities and daily life etc and the loose bodies eventually create a "pestle & mortar" effect where they erode the good meniscus in your knee.

This damage in turn can lead to damage of the articular cartilage coating the bones in your leg which = osteo arthritis (much further down the road....)

An arthroscopy to merely flush out the joint and clean it up is minimally invasive and you should be back on your feet within a few days.

Plus....you should notice a difference with the clicking and stiffness....

All the best....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 03:58:01 AM by andrewc »
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline choudhury

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 11:18:18 PM »
thanks a lot andrew, i apprecitae your encouragement as i really wasn't sure what to do as i have said, i don't suffer from pain but mainly strains and stiffness but from what you've said and other people aswell it seems like it's the right thing to do for the long term.