Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Nutrition Supplements - what's good?  (Read 3021 times)

Offline sarah

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Nutrition Supplements - what's good?
« on: November 02, 2002, 01:23:19 AM »
All over the internet I am researching what is good for OA. I don't think I can take condroitin or glucosamine because I have a shellfish allergy. There was a warning on a box that it should be avoided.

Does anyone have a shellfish allergy and take Glucosamine/Condroitin without a problem?

Has anyone taken SAMe, bromelain, MSM, yucca, Boswellin (an antiinflammatory)

I could not find this topic in the boards?
What has helped you besides the usual Vioxx type drugs?

Thanks,
Sarah ::)
Partial medial meniscectomy and chondroplasty 10/02. OA

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
Re: Nutrition Supplements - what's good?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2002, 01:39:39 AM »
Hi Sarah,

I think I have tried everything. Everytime I read about something that might help I give it a shot. So far for me, the only thing that seems to have made a difference is SAMe. I don't believe that it really does anything to improve things though. I think that it just helps with the pain. I am not sure on that though. I also "think" that geletin might help. The trouble with that stuff is that it takes 3 months to do anything. Knox makes a geletin supplement, and there are a few others out there. Knox is probably the easiest to find. Bromelain is something that I am just starting on, but I have been told that it is good. Who knows?

Also, I have a Border Collie mix dog that has trouble. She gets to try everything as well. I call the vet and get the dosage adjusted for her. I figure that if I see a difference in her, it can't be a placebo thing because she has no idea what she is taking or why. So far, the SAMe and Bromelain seems to have helped the most. She is also taking a Glucosomine supplement that seems to help, but you can't take that. I only change one thing at a time with her so that I know what is and is not working.

Good luck in your searches! If you find anything interesting out let me know. i will try anything that won't make me sick.

Good luck!
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2002, 11:53:25 AM »
I recommend a combination of Vitamin E and evening primrose oil.

They do take time to  work, haven't helped my knee greatly but my wrist, which had similiar probs did respond quite well.

Iona

Offline Helen

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2002, 09:45:12 PM »
Dont know how relevant it is, but joint tonics for horses contain Glucosamine HCl, MSM, cod liver oil, vit E, and soya oil. They are all OK for humans, but Im not sure about the shellfish alergy. Ill do some hunting and get back to you (I work with this stuff, so am in a position to get the info). You could also try chinese healing stores and health food shops, as they should be able to advise.

H
04/07/02 RL - patella tendon realignment, LR and meniscus trimmed. RSD set up home shortly afterwards....typical.