Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: two questions  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Big_A

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
two questions
« on: August 12, 2004, 10:26:42 PM »
I am a 21 year old surfer.  I just found out that I have a completely torn ACL, my miniscus is all torn up, and I have some kind of fluid too. Apparantly it started 2 years ago from a wakeboarding accident, then just got worse from continually jamming it.

I have 3 questions.  
1. How do I find out who some really good surgeons are in Florida without having to pay to for it?
2. does anyone out there surf after an acl surgery and have any problems. (surfing is all twisting)
3. I have noticed that there are alot of people with super long lists of repeated surgeries and problems.  I never want to deal with this again.  so can i ever be confident that it wont tear again, or other problems wont arise?

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: two questions
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 03:47:49 AM »
Depends on where you are in FL. I know of mine in west central FL, and think he did a good job on me......
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 03:59:18 PM »
Try checking out the big names in knee surgery at the top of this site for a surgeon near you. Mine is in Columbus Ga and if you live in Northern FL or the panhandle, that isnt too long a drive. I drive 250 miles to see him (one way). As for more surgeries. There are NEVER  any guarantees with anything. I had a one time accident. The first surgery didnt take, limping afterwards irritated other things, got those fixed and scar tissue hit. I am now dealing with an infected stitch UGH. And I was a perfectly healthy person with great knees before this accident. I think my knee is fixed. I know I wont be 100% but I can live with it. You can only find the best OS around and do exactly what they say and hope for the best.
Good LUck
Missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Big_A

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 02:17:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies and good info.

Its just that i see so many people talking about all of the things that they have had done, and gone wrong and repetitive surgeries to fix other things that the surgery caused.  Im kinda wondering how many people get these done and can forget about it for the rest of their life, as opposed to those who continually suffer and snap their ligaments.

I dont care about the pain, I just want to surf.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 02:23:58 AM »
If it worked the first time, they wouldnt be hanging around on this board. A lot of people have great results so you only hear from them when they have their first (and usually only) surgery. the  people on this board are usually chronic knee sufferers. Most people come here for information, get fixed by their OS and never return to this board. You will do fine. The people on this board are NOT  the norm,,,,, WE ARE SPECIAL lol

good luck
Missy
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 06:30:29 PM »
Big A

Every knee is different! So don't pin your mind onto our signatures saying we had various surgeries. Ihave been thinking for a long time that I wish I had torn my ACL, that way I would have a recon and it wold be fixed forever! But in my condition it took a lot more, now my surgery knee feels fine!

After an ACL recon you can play sports again, and I am sure there are surfers out there on the waves who have had ACL recons! What about soccer players? But remember you can always retear the graft, no matter what. It's a risk you will have to take!

Good luck, look on KneeGuru's Big names list for a surgeon!
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

dutch

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 01:03:13 AM »
Hey Big A,

For ACL recons, looking at the surgeon who represents any prfessional team (the Lightening, Dolphins, Heat, Jaguars etc.) will probably steer you in the right direction.  This is a sports related injury, so a surgeon that does Sports Medicine is what you want.  

You should be able to surf 5-6 months after the surgery.  Don't push it earlier than that - trust me, I work with a lot of these.

If you rehab properly (in other words, don't slack off and listen to your PT and OS), then you shouldn't have any problems.  

Dirk

PS that was 3 questions.

Offline Big_A

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 06:22:42 AM »
haha, yeah i typed in the title before i wrote the questions and came up with another one.  

I went to the dr. today and he told me that he recomends either a cadaver acl or patella graft.  He appeared to be pushing the cadaver a little more.  but I have been doing a lot of research and i have found out that a cadaver acl is recomended for medium activity levels...and i am far from that.  so I am probably going to go for the patella graft.  I dont care about more pain and time if it will be stronger in the long run.

He said that he has done well over a thousand acl replacements, and I checked on his medical record for 8$ and found out that he has no state or federal sanctions, has been practicing for 22 years, and he is board certified in ortho surgery, and sports medicine.  So I think that I am going to go with him.  And just do alot of praying.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Offline Big_A

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 06:27:47 AM »
If it worked the first time, they wouldnt be hanging around on this board. A lot of people have great results so you only hear from them when they have their first (and usually only) surgery. the  people on this board are usually chronic knee sufferers. Most people come here for information, get fixed by their OS and never return to this board. You will do fine. The people on this board are NOT  the norm,,,,, WE ARE SPECIAL lol

thank you very much.  You have no idea what kind of hope you gave and stress you relieved by telling me that.

Offline Cora

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 01:35:17 AM »
Hi, I have not had surgery.  But I live in the Tampa Bay area and my OS is Michael Smith.  He is supposed to be good, a friend saw him and he has treated many of the Devil Rays and a few Bucs.  He has a good record of sucess in the surgeries themselves (according to my aunt who is in the medical field and newpaper articles I've seen).  But he seems to not really answer questions most patients have, or discuss options like orthotics, ice, meds, etc.

I am considering a second opinion before I get chondroplasty from Dr. Koko Eaton.  He is less known.  A close friend went to him and unlike many doctors gave him many options, explained the risks of surgeries to choose from, what to expect and he got good results.  He wasn't scalpel happy like some.  
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 01:38:38 AM by Cora »
Right knee- Septic Infection 1988, Skiing Injury with a severe medial sprain 1997, Softball injury with medial sprain 2004, PFS with arthritis diagnosed 2004.

dutch

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 03:14:06 AM »
Hey Big_A,

Sounds like you got a good man there.  After the surgery, be diligent with your rehab.  With a patellar tendon graft, which has been proven to be stronger, be aggressive with mobilisations of your kneecap and patellar tendon, as it will scar easily.  The more mobility you have there, the less likely you will be to having post-operative complications.  

I'm a PT, so if you have any questions regarding rehab, feel free contact me.  I've worked with a lot of professional athletes and about 300-500 knees per year.

Dirk

Offline ChrisMc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 03:10:25 PM »
Hi BigAl

Ive had to live with a damaged Knee for 25yrs, and possibly now facing further surgery.
I remember my first Op,and have seen others go thru it, so most important thing for you to face with whatever surgery you go thru, is to push yourself only as far as the PT says you can....no further.
Too much too soon and you will set yourself back months, but whatever, you're gonna have to write off at least 6mths as far as I know.....possibly more.

You dont care about the pain ??  Oohhhhhh myyyyyyy......I sincerely hope you can stay that positive.....cos it IS gonna hurt.  

Good luck.

Offline Big_A

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 10:06:52 PM »
I am going in for surgery on tuesday the 24th.  I talked to one of the old ladies that I work for and she had her knee and hip replaced by my dr.  and swears that he is the best in the world...and that was 10 years ago.  

My dr doesnt seem to want to talk about it too much either.  I guess after a while it just becomes such an everyday thing that they get sick of answering the same questions.  

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 10:29:04 PM »
Big_A, I dont like OS's who wont answer questions. My first OS didnt like questions, I later found out it was because the *&%$#   probably couldnt answer them anyways. He did my first surgery, figured out he was an idiot and went in search of my current one.  My surgeon ALWAYS answers my questions (sometimes I have to ask him to do it in plain english, not medical-ese ) but he does answer. Bed side manner is important to me. I hope you have found a wonderful OS but MAKE him answer your questions. IT IS YOUR BODY  he is planning to cut on. It isnt just routine to you and he needs to realize that.
Best of Luck
Missy
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline XxSkittlezxX

• Regular Poster
    • My Myspace
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2004, 11:18:04 PM »
I'd check out the "knee surgeons" section on this website, they might have some good ones, all though, not all the good one's are listed.  I'm not sure about who's free and who's not... and with the third question... make sure you go through rehabilitation and not go back to surfing until at least 6 months later.  (Maybe even more since you tore up your meniscus too)  The doctor should know more about returning to surfing than I do... that's just a suggestion because my friend retore her's after going back to basketball 4 months after the surgery.

I hope I'm of some help.  Good Luck!
1/15/04 = ACL Rupture (fully torn)
11/17/04 = ACL Recon. Surgery

support