Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lateral release 8 weeks, now whats wrong  (Read 2315 times)

Offline 6ocala

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Lateral release 8 weeks, now whats wrong
« on: August 11, 2004, 11:39:29 PM »
I had a lateral release and a miniscus problem fixed on June 21, plus some fluid removed, debridgement, and something with the patella not on right?..Anyways I am now 8 weeks along and my rom is horrible only 45 to 60, I feel like theres a ball behind my knee when I try to bend it up. In bed at night it won't lay down all the way and if I do fall asleep with it out and then try and turn over onto my side the pain is really bad. OR if I sleep on my side and lay the knees together, Wow what a wake up call that one is. Does it really take this LONG to get better. I see the OS on the 17th, had my 10 only PT appts and I am not happy at all with the results. When I see the OS , should I voice my concerns, or wait to see what he thinks.  He is NOT a easy man to talk to! but I was told he was the best here in South Florida and the only one my wonderful insurance would let me go to for surgery.  This was done on the right knee and driving is difficult and painful. I am 46, female with two active kids , I want my knee back to normal, Heck I 'd even take it the way it was, before surgery!!!
Thanks for letting me vent off some steam..
Linda

Offline Leta_MT

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Lateral release 8 weeks, now whats wrong
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 01:55:44 AM »
Hi Linda!

Sorry to hear about your unhappy knee! I can relate as my LR was less than effective as well. Boy, it's hard to say what the problem is but could be scar tissue. That is always a possibility with a bloody procedure like an LR.  It seems like you should have better ROM than that.

As far as the OS goes, the squeeky wheel always get the grease and hound the man to Hell and back until he gives you the attention you deserve! Since you are stuck with him, I would make a list of questions you want him to answer and don't leave until he has addressed them all.  If he truly is good, he will want you to get better as a failure is bad for business!

Have you tried sleeping with a pillow between your knees? Sometimes that helps. How's the swelling?

Good luck and I hope things work out for you!

Leta
OA in both knees; patellar dislocation left knee 2/03; LR on left 7/03; PFR w/TTT, left 6/18/04

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 10:49:35 PM »
IF THERE IS A STRUCTURE BEHIND THE KNEE THAT YOU CAN FEEL IT COULD BE A POPITEAL CYST, THAT FORMED BEHIND THE KNEE, THEY CAUSE PAIN, AND IT INCREASES WHEN THEY RUPTURE. I, TOO, have had a lateral release, times 4 or 5, although I never understood why.The swelling always increased the pain. Talk to the OS, HE WORKS FOR YOU, and try to get answers, not be brushed off, like so many like to do. Good luck, Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline pxs

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 01:46:48 AM »
i had my surgery on june 21, repair of medial retinaculum and advanced vmo, along w/partial meniscectomy and chondroplasty after a nasty dislocation w/gross swelling and hemarthroses.  i started pt 4 weeks post op and started at 60 degrees, it felt like there was stuff inside the joint blocking rom.
spent a few visits plateaued at 65 / 70 and was worried about scar tissue but suddenly things started progressing and now i'm at 110 and swelling is going down.  i was where you are  2 or 3 weeks ago so maybe you are on the verge of similar progress.  when the p/t pushes it hurts like hell, but i am gaining rom and the pain stops after he does so i don't think anything bad is happening from it.  i go 3 times a week.  that sucks that your insurance is so stingy on p/t.

Offline 6ocala

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 11:02:46 PM »
Thanks Teresa and pxs
I saw the OS yesterday and he exam. the knee said Can you bend it, I said this is as good as it gets, and then it feels really stiff and painful. He goes, ok, well I'll start you on Vioix and see you in 2 months!! I said is this normal, He will NOT look me in the face when he talks to me. Wierd ! Like he's hidding something. I was able to see a few pictures on my knee before he covered up my chart. Anyways, since I applied for disability and my lawyer is working on getting me a court date, she has requested all medical records from all my doctors, I can't wait to get my copy of the SURGERY, so I can figure out what the hell he did to me.
I go up front and also showed the office manager a big error in my insurance billing, THEY billed my insurance for a surgery on the 4/26/04 and for 6/21/04. My surgery was on 6/21/04. NOT in April. My insurance paid both bills and they think i had 2 surgeries, I told them to fix the problem immediately before i make payment on what I owe them. (feels good to be in control for once) The manager goes, well you had surgery on the 4/26/04. I said it was cancelled due to my medical doctor not giving me clearance, and only have one scar on my knee. She comes around the counter to look and I should her the one scar from surgery, She leaves and tells me, The problem will be fixed when I look into the matter. WOW  what a wierd place. No wonder health insurance is so high.!!!!
well  hope all is well for my knee friends. Keep in touch
Linda

Offline Leta_MT

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 11:36:04 PM »
Linda,

According to the HYPPA (I think that's the correct acronym) laws, you have the right to all of your medical records! ALL OF THEM!! I have a copy of all the records relating to my knee. The OS has to give you a copy of them if you request it. That includes X-rays, CT's, etc.

Good luck and I hope you are doing better now then you were when you started this post!

Leta
OA in both knees; patellar dislocation left knee 2/03; LR on left 7/03; PFR w/TTT, left 6/18/04