Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 8 weeks post op  (Read 1997 times)

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
8 weeks post op
« on: August 11, 2004, 06:31:21 PM »
Well yesterday marked 8 weeks since my 2nd OATS.   I saw my OS on Friday because of some problems I was having and it turned out to be my Plica and some bands of scar tissue.  The graft is coming along great.  I have absolutly no pain what-so-ever in the joint, which makes me very happy.  It looks like this surgery took care of the defect....YEAH!  The only pain I am having is with extention when I am walking and sitting with my knee bent for more than 15 minutes.  It also aches a bit during the day and wakes me at night because the knee is still.  My OS put me back on the Bextra to help with the inflamation on the Plica.  He said he would have done a cortisone shot but I am not far enough out post op and there is an increased risk of infection.  He said if it doesnt calm down in a few weeks we will try the shot then.  If all else fails...he will need to take it out.  I'm not really gonna think about that right now.  Just the thought of more surgery...yikes...I couldnt handle that right now.
Well, I just wanted to update about the OATS...so far so good.  At this point I am very pleased and glad I went ahead with the second surgery.
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: 8 weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 06:57:07 PM »
hey kathleen...that's great congragulations....so nice to hear someone happy w/ the result and having a reduction of pain and increase of function....kudos for having the grit to see this thru....awesome!

you made my bad pain day much brighter...thanks :)

take care of yourself and keep me posted i really want to hear how things are going for you....

have a great day 8)

best

ron

Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Offline ajcopper

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 12:32:46 AM »
Hi Kathleen,

I'm very happy to hear you're mostly pleased with your surgery thus far. Sounds like you're progressing well other than the plica issue (which I looked up on-line but do not fully understand). I know it sounds painful!

I had my 6-weeks post-op yesterday. I am cleared to start weight bearing!!!! :)

My OS said 2-3 weeks until I'm walking on my own. I was slightly discouraged when he wrote me another prescription for pain pills and said "it's gonna hurt" but I can't imagine it'll be worse than what I've experienced before.

I see my PT later today and can't wait to get something going. I'm hoping for a magic pill from my PT but realize it's not likely. At this point, I will just do whatever they say - I'd even be happy to go to the gym twice a day if it meant a speedy recovery - I just need some muscles!

I take night classes and the idea of walking on crutches with books in tow, across campus is making me want to pout like nothing ever has before. Walking with all those books while you're in shape sucks enough. But I'll live. Jeez, I thought I was anxious before!

Take care!
-angela

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 12:58:04 AM »
Angela,

Congrats on the ok to start weight bearing!!!   I know how exciting it is to get that ok!!  Try not to push things.
From what I remember about another one of your posts, your muscles are pretty atrophied, so be careful.  Mine were like that the 1st time around and I got so disappointed when I wasnt progressing like I was expecting.  When you are not walking on the leg for 6 weeks it definatley takes a while to get all the motions back.  Just take it slow and easy.

Good luck.
Kathy

Oh, by the way...I wish there was a magic pill like you mentioned...I could really use a few right now!!!!!!  I am going on vacation in 2 days and this knee just doesnt want to co-operate.  At least I have an excuse for just sitting and enjoying the margarita's!!! Oh, crap, I cant even do that...I'm taking Bextra :'(
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 09:49:13 PM »
Kathleen, I hope you dont have to have your plica removed but just in case, let me share my experience. I had mine removed in dec 03 arthroscopically and it really wasnt bad. Mine had gotten terribly inflamed and it was a true relief. I hope you dont have to have it removed but if you do,,,,,, dont worry, it isnt a bad surgery (as far as surgeries go LOL)
Missy

Ps vacation is what irrtated mine to such a huge extent.
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06