Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bad tibial Plateau injury  (Read 3890 times)

Offline adrian_118

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Bad tibial Plateau injury
« on: October 25, 2002, 08:33:08 AM »
Hi,

6 months ago I had a bad motorcycle accident and ended up with a very bad tibial plateau fracture and two breaks in the femur.
I wore an external fixature for 5 months and since it has come off I have a lot of trouble increasing my ROM.
I currently have up to 70 deg flex and am about 15 deg off having the leg completely straight.
My OS says I will not be able to cycle in the future and that any more degrees of knee bend will be a bonus.
Does anyone have a similar injury/experience?
I am doing PT twice a week  at the moment but the prospect of being unable to run and cycle forever is a bit depressing....  >:(
Nobody seems to know if I will get any more ROM back? 110 deg would be enough for me to cycle, but who knows?
The pain is not too bad, but it hurts most when I try to straighten the knee, it almost feels locked when I try to bend more than 70 degs.

Any ideas. comments appreciated, we are all doin it tough at times...

cheers,

Adrian

Offline erniej

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Bad tibial Plateau injury
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 12:34:56 PM »
Adrian,

Not another biker with a tibial plateau #!  I did much the same 4 months ago, but had internal fixation (and a bone graft).  ROM:  I'm stuck on 90 degrees flexion and around 5 extension.  Not sure what you can expect, but like you I would like to cycle.  I play on an exercise bike to help with the ROM, and can almost geta smooth complete cycle, but think that you are right and that 110 woul be the minimum required.  Are you walking yet?  I am hoping that once I start walking properly I will squeeze a few more degrees out of the old joint.

Have done a little reading, and there are a few others who have previously posted their experiences (just search for "tibial plateau" on this site).

Summarised one of the follow up papers on a web page:

http://www.geocities.com/erniej22/Tib_Plateau_data.html

Good luck.

Ernie
Tibial Plateau Fracture June 7th 2002.  Schatzker type V.  Internal fixation.

Offline adrian_118

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 07:03:12 AM »
Hi Ernie,

Thanks for the info and your web page is very interesting. It gives me a bit more hope as to the long term outcome for my knee. I am not sure what Schatzker type my injury is.. type V or VI I guess.
I am walking at the moment with the help of one gutter crutch (left wrist was also bady broken) and hope to walk unaided once I get the muscle strength up and can lessen the 15 deg off completely straight I am currently.
I also play on an exercise bike and can do one complete revolution by raising the seat way up and resting my heel on the right pedal. Its cheating I know - but helps the confidence  ::)
Good luck getting back on your feet and keep up with the exercises  ;)

cheers,

Adrian

Offline jade

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2002, 06:59:44 AM »
As you will notice I have replied to many of your posts this evening and continue to realize that I am just a wimp!  A bicycle accident cannot compare to motorcycle nor to the severity!  I hope you guys heal quickly!

Jade
tibial plateau fracture - July 5
plate, 4 screws, synthetic coral, femur smashed into tibia crushing it, splintering off 3 pieces vertical, bicycle seat broke the bone horizontal (ouch)

Offline saul

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2002, 09:18:26 PM »
hi,igot jumped 8 months ago from behind totally unaware.i spent 3 weeks in hospital with a bicondylar tibia plateau fracture[whatever that means]i had a 7 inch plate inserted with 8 screws of various sizes.i then had a skin graft the size of a large banana on my shin with a scar over my knee because of a torn meniscus.it has been 8 months since my accident? and my surgeon is now saying that the bone is not fusing and that the hardware needs to come out and that a rod needs to go in or have a bone graft.either way another 4 months of recovery.im 31 years old and my occupation is a plumber.will i ever be able to go back

support