Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 2 patallectomy  (Read 912 times)

Offline danny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
2 patallectomy
« on: August 07, 2004, 12:05:22 AM »
I had my first full patallectomy on my left knee at 14 years old caused by some sort of artheritis.  Followed by my second full patallectomy on the other knee at 15.  Five years later after much squelching and grinding from my tendon against my thigh bone i returned to the consultant who told me that i would need immediate surgery (the following week) to repair the tendon and stop it from dislocating.  Just my luck, the hospital at where i was due to have the op was closed down due to lack of funds and ive heard nothing since.  I lived with the pain for a further five years until it got unbearable and now i am due to see a surgeon next week.  I was wondering if you have any idea what suggestions, if any, he might make to stop the tendon from grinding on the worn down thigh bone and dislocating.

Thanks

Danny
8 x arthroscopy's, Double patallectomy - 1993 & 1994, Shallow grooves, 2 x patella reconstruction (experiment) 06 & 07

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: 2 patallectomy
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 03:52:13 AM »
I am also missing my kneecaps. I'm sure you've heard that we're idiots for having them removed. My were both removed 23 yrs ago. My last OS mentioned an osteotomy. From what I've read this is major surgery. He mentioned a Fulkerson to me, but I'm not sure what they would do to you. I'm thinking they might do the same surgery as if you did have a patella and it dislocated. If that's the case there are a few different options. Most of these surgeries are over 80% successful. You should read some of the posts on this site. There are a lot of people who have patella dislocations and have had surgery to correct them. I'm so out of the loop as far as what they do now, I'm not a good person to answer. I hope you have some good luck. I'm dealing with chronic pain right now with no apparent help in site. Hopefully someone will answer who knows about this problem. You might want to look in the patelar/femoral section also.

Jane
12 knee surgeries. bilateral patellectomy 22yrs ago. chronic pain, major narcotics. Still looking for help with pain. 42yrs old.