Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: LATERAL RELEASE COMPLICATIONS  (Read 1604 times)

Offline CLJONE3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
LATERAL RELEASE COMPLICATIONS
« on: August 05, 2004, 06:59:57 PM »
I HAVE A QUESTION REGARDING LATERAL RELEASE.  I HAD ONE DONE IN JANUARY OF THIS YEAR.  I AM STILL EXPERIENCING PAIN MEDIALLY ABOVE THE PATELLA, AT THE MEDIAL CONDYLE LEVEL.   ESPECIALLY BAD IF I STOOP DOWN OR BEND THE KNEE.  ALSO WHEN I BEND THE KNEE THE PATELLA IS VERY PRONOUNCED LATERALLY.  IT IS A DISFIGURING LOOK AS COMPARED TO THE OTHER KNEE.   I EXPERIENCED SOME PRONOUNCED SWELLING AT THE LATERAL CONDYLE WHICH WAS TREATED WITH EXTENSIVE ULTRASOUND THERAPY AND SEEMED TO HELP THE SWELLING, HOWEVER THE KNEE JUST DOESN'T LOOK RIGHT.  WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THIS AND WHAT SHOULD BE DONE?  I AM SCHEDULED TO HAVE THE OTHER KNEE OPERATED ON SOON, AND AM RELUCTANT TO DO SO WITH THE PROBLEMS I AM EXPERIENCING.  THANK YOU

CHARLES JONES
LEXINGTON KENTUCKY

Offline yodalover

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: LATERAL RELEASE COMPLICATIONS
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 08:27:38 PM »
have you discussed this with your dr?   It seems if you have questions or are unhappy with the results it desserves a good discussion with him before you have the other one done...

As for the pain and swelling... I had a lateral release AND TTT done in Jan and my knee still gets sore sometimes... it's not 100% yet and i'm not looking for it to be yet.  It swells a bit if i walk too much and gets sore.

I'd just make sure to discuss your situation with your dr, and if your not happy with your present dr, find one you are happy with.

-Paula
Left Knee - Modified Elmslie TTT with a lateral release and patella shaving - January 14, 2004
Right Knee - same surgery - June 9, 2004

Offline CLJONE3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 09:11:35 PM »
I have discussed the problems with my physician. and his solution was to do more physical therapy.  However, he is not aware of the current "disfigurement" of my patella.  I was just curious with others that had had the procedure, if they had continued discomfort and for how long post op do they have pain and swelling.  

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 09:33:50 PM »
If your first knee is not happy with its lateral release, I'd hesitate to do it again.  The disfigurement could be normal--the result of extreme muscle atrophy.  Or your kneecap could be moving around where it's not supposed to--this is one of the know complications of lateral release.  Or you could have a condition like patella baja, which I got as a direct result of lateral release.  It actually looks like I have two kneecaps--it's hard to describe, but this is because of the procedure I had done.  It wasn't the right procedure for me and it made my knee worse.

At 8 months post op you should be at least starting to see some improvement.  You may want to go to a doctor who specializes in knees and patellofemoral issues for a seconc opinion.  I would agree with your reluctance to do the other knee...you can sign up any time if it's the right thing to do--I wouldn't rush into it.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline CLJONE3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 11:10:38 PM »
Thanks for the input.  What are the symptoms of the patellar baja?  And what were your symptoms, prior to having the procedure?  I was having posterior joint pain upon going up stairs and some giving out of the knee.  MRI showed OCD, which I now understand to be overly diagnosed.   I am really discouraged with the results, feeling more constant throbbing like pain than before surgery.

Thanks again. :-[ :(

Offline BuffettBarbie

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 03:54:50 AM »
Charles,

I, too, found myself the victim of a lateral release (2001).  Being athletic, I was on a mountain bike four months later, and had my knee "go bad" on a rather large hill in Korea.  This resulted in months of physical therapy, and all was good.  I was running again, and back to my jolly self with minimal pain.

In 2003, I was in Iraq.  I do a lot of heavy lifting for my job, but it never was a problem (as having too bad knees has given me a strong back.)  I was still running whnever I could- same stuff I do every day.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  For some bizarre reason, my right knee starting hurting.  Thinking nothing of it, I chomped some Motrin.  The pain worsened.  One day, while sitting outside of my tent, I noticed my knees no longer matched!  My right patella was jutting out to the side.  Oh no!  Somehow, I had failed to notice this while shaving my legs in our dark combat shower.  Luckily, there just happened to be an OS on our compound.  While he was happy to see a patient that wasn't covered in bullet holes, his mood changed when he saw my knee.  I was put on a profile, ordered not to run for two weeks, and was told to see my OS when I returned to Florida.  "Your lateral release did not take.  You will probably need a TTO."

Upon getting back, went to my OS, who gave me a Breg brace and sent me to Physical Therapy.  The patella rebelled, and decided to move even further out.  My OS decided against another LR, and suggested a TTO.  He sent me to Tampa's best OS for a second opinion.  This is bad.  The other OS took one look at my knees (before even seeing my X-rays) and said, "You need a TTO."  He proceeded to show me my X-ray, and showed me that my other knee was also trying to go to China.  So, really, NEITHER lateral realease worked!  Ugh.  I wanted to put it off, but eventually, my knee started making the sound of Velcro ripping when I straightened it.  "That is your cartilage ripping," my OS informed me.  Great.  I am scheduled for a TTO with the second-opinion guy, since my own OS said this guy is the best for knees.

Charles, I highly reccomend you go to the best OS your insurance will cover.  Lateral releases don't usually work- they're the "simpler" surgery that "might" correct a tracking problem.  I hope you don't mind me asking, but what surgery are you scheduled for on your other knee?  I'd go ahead and get the LR victim one fixed first, as you need at least one good leg!  Let me know what you decide and how it turns out!

Chris
Lateral Release- Left Knee (Feb 2001)
Lateral Release- Right Knee (April 2001)
Fulkerson's TTO, Lateral Release, & Scope- Right Knee (20 Aug 2004)