Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: WHAT HAVE I DONE?  (Read 812 times)

Offline jest4fun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
WHAT HAVE I DONE?
« on: August 05, 2004, 06:53:51 PM »
Quick history. Two years ago: torn meniscus playing volleyball. Artho surgery to remove 40% meniscus. Recovery: crutches for one day. walking after that. inline marathon 5 weeks post-op. resumed volleyball 6 weeks post-op. felt fully recovered after 3 months. continue to rollerblade (knee feels tired after 20 miles) and play volleyball 2x a week.

New problem: impacted kneecap area on hard metal object 5 days ago. Still playing beach volleyball however knee is tight and swollen now after playing. Hard to bend. Any insights into what I have done or is the swelling and inflamation going to decrease. (I have a rollerblade marathon in 3 days!)
Rick
[email protected]

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: WHAT HAVE I DONE?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 06:57:55 PM »
hi rick...is the surface of the patella hot to the touch?...is the swelling "squishy"....does it burn inside the joint when you try to extend it or bend it?..any clicking or popping noises?...is the fluid evenly distributed...or in one general area....any pain in the back front or side of the patella?...let me know...and i'll try to give you an answer..i've had most major ligament and cartilge injuires...

cheers
ron
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Offline jest4fun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 07:02:01 PM »
thanks for replying.

surface of the patella does feel hot/warm to touch. with one specific tender spot (probably where I impacted with the ladder!)

fluid seems evenly distributed.

no real popping or cracking (beyond what I am used to)

definitley throbs and has a burning sensation. tough to bend first thing in the morning. more comfortable to stand at my computer than sit with bended knee.

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 07:09:46 PM »
okay....tis could simply be what they would call"effuiosn inside the joint" a fancy term for some soft tissue injury..irritates the synovial fluid and hence the swelling and burning...the difficulty moving is caused by the "bleeding" in the joint..there is always the possibility of some meniscal damage or possibly it's stretched a bit..however for now i'd RICE it, try to baby it and you may well find that it's a bit better in a day or two....it's always more comfy to stand when this is going on as the extra blood and irritated synovail fluid impedes the joint flexibility when it's bent.....give it the RICE for now and make a decision at game time based on how you feel..but be careful

hope this helps....

good luck

cheers

ron
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Offline jest4fun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 07:12:46 PM »
well, i have 3 days before i have my inline marathon... so i will RICE it for these days... and hopefully it will feel better.

thanks for the advice...

rick