Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Now what :(  (Read 951 times)

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Now what :(
« on: August 05, 2004, 02:29:27 AM »
Hey All~
Hope everyone here is feelin good today.   :-/  I've been posting lately about my situation with my PFS and possible treatments.  Emily, ron22, and cat, youve helped so much thanks.  but ive seemed to have this new pain in my knee and i have NO clue whatsoever what it is ???.  It just started like last night but its in the back of my knee joint, almost like the back of the leg.  it  just hurts to bend my knee and walk.  ive never had this before. just wondering if anyone had an idea of how to get it to stop, tried icing, no luck. but ill keep tryin.  any info would help!  thanks in advance! :)
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline californianative

• Regular Poster
  • Lisa....a California Native
Re: Now what :(
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 03:09:46 AM »
I have had problems with the back of my knee since about a week after starting PT after my last surgery. They gave me stretching exercises, and I stretched that till I was blue in the knee. No luck. Saw the OS, he felt around, told me it was just my knee. DUH! I still have it, I have just learned to work around or with it. So basically I didn't find a solution, I sure hope you do, I will keep tabs to see if I can find any advice here as well!
Lisa...a California Native
2003 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving
2004 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving, lateral release, meniscus repair, resurfacing of the bones.

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 03:19:06 AM »
Hey All~
californianative-- thanks for the reply.  wow these os are just brilliant arent they! ::) haha just kidding.  yea i have no idea what it is, i mean i stretch my hamstrings like a couple times  a day and everything and nothing just seems to help and it just kinda started so i dunno.  hope we both can find some kinda relief.  until then, thanks for reply, im not alone! yay! haha.  better go. take it easy!
~Mandy
21 yrs old

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 03:26:08 AM »
Often when you have pain behind your knee, that indicates some kind of irritation or swelling going on deep inside the knee joint.  You actually have to have a good bit of swelling before it shows up when you look at your knee, so you could still have something going on even if the knee doesn't 'look' puffy.  Try to feel the back of the knee that hurts and compare it to the one that (hopefully) doesn't.  You may notice the back of the sore knee bulges out, is firm or taut, or is more sensitive to touch.

Finally, in my case the pain behind my knee is almost always associated with the damage to the back of my kneecap.  Whenever I've had the kneecap cleaned up in surgery, the worst pain I felt was behind the knee itself.  No one really knows why.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 03:34:01 AM »
Heather, I also have tremendous pain in the back of my knees. The last OS said it was because I hyperextend when I walk (have been for years) and it's finally catching up with me. It's actually getting harder and harder to hyperextend (I think my ROM is finally starting to go) but if I don't, my legs will give out as I have no quad strength. My knees hardly ever swell, so not sure what the real pain is. Actually, I don't know where any pain is coming from. OS looked like I was crazy when I told him I get a ton of pain medially. He said "No, you mean laterally." I said, "No, I mean medially." That and it feels like my tybia is being shoved up under my patella, which of course I don't have. Anyway, the back of the knee pain is fairly new and getting worse.

I hope you know how much you've done for us on this site. You are so appreciated.

Jane
12 knee surgeries. bilateral patellectomy 22yrs ago. chronic pain, major narcotics. Still looking for help with pain. 42yrs old.

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 03:39:08 AM »
Hey!~
Jane, im in the same boat.  now that you said that about hyperextension, i sorta makes sense.  im the same way with walking hyperextended.  guess its catching up to me too. :(  oh well i guess....thanks for the reply.  take care ;)
~Mandy
21 yrs old

Offline californianative

• Regular Poster
  • Lisa....a California Native
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 04:30:39 AM »
Hey Mandy, did you damage your knee cap in any way? After reading Heathers post my (little) light bulb came on. My knee issues are a result from a damaging blow to my knee cap. The first surgery when they cleaned it up it didn't bother me, this time it is a constant. But...if you read further in Heathers post you get to the part about noone really knowing why...so close yet so far!  ;D
Lisa...a California Native
2003 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving
2004 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving, lateral release, meniscus repair, resurfacing of the bones.

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 07:39:26 AM »
Hey Hey!~
Summer is going by wayyyyyyyyyyyy too fast :'(  californianative-- about your question if i had injured my knee cap in any way.  i have had pfs for a year now and have been in therapy for most of that time.  no conservative treatment has responded whatsoever.  im going to the os on the 24th, and im not shocked if he mentions surgery.   ???  thats about all that i have wrong with my patellas.  this all started when i caught an edge on the ice and the knee subluxed.  now i swear to God that it basically stays subluxed.   ::)  so i guess the answer to your ? is that yes i have had some injury.  i suppose it doesnt help with hockey getting hit in the knee and hyperextending almost all the time on ice. :-/  thanks for the reply!  keep em comin'    thanks
~Mandy
21 yrs old

support