Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Multiple Lession (Trochlea / Femoral Condylae  (Read 8699 times)

Offline Basil01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Multiple Lession (Trochlea / Femoral Condylae
« on: August 03, 2004, 03:42:09 PM »
 :)  :)

Good Morning from SUNNY GREECE

On February 3rd I underwent an ACI in trochlear and femoral condylae and there was a defect on the patella but was left intact as it was a very small one
And i was the FIRST with multiple lessions in Greece.

Today is my 6 months mark.

I feel no pain and there is no swelling even after a 2- 3 miles walk or 2 hours swimming and i have a full extention and 140 deg flexion.

None of the pre-ops symptoms exist anymore...

The only "drawbacks" are a light clicking in the 30-40 Deg flexion and an odd feeling like the flesh being shrunk.

I have to admit that i followed my doctor's orders in every detail and this despite my concern of being very conservative (still I am not allowed to walk any stairs and no running...JUST WALKING)

I had an excellent PT who did an excellent job...(According to my doctor...my quadricept condition was a couple of months ahead)  

If  you ask me what i think about ACI??

Certainly is a very difficult  operation.
You MUST BE DETERMINED That "it is a long way to Tiperrary" but it worths all the trouble.

Offline rob8647932

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Multiple Lession (Trochlea / Femoral Condylae
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 12:12:21 AM »
How did your trochlea feel at 3 months post op? I have had a few relapses where I took a step but it seem sto be improving although very slowly. I still have a little pain. I can walk about 10 minutes. I am a little frustrated.

Thanks
Rob
Left knee - 1997 debridement, 1999 trochlea paste graft / microfracture), 2002 IAGH injections, 2005 plica and synovium removal, 2009 Regenexx injections
Right knee - 1997 debridement, 2000 trochlea paste graft, 2004 IAGH injections, 2008 Regenexx injections

Offline BarryB

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 08:39:45 AM »
Hi Rob. i had ACI to the trochlea and patella too. I wouldn't worry too much, as 3 months is still very early in the process. It is hard to remember exactly what it felt like at 3 months, but it will keep gradually getting better and better. trochlea grafts can have more problems with clicking, grinding and overgrowth than other sites, especially as it is in contact with the back of the patella rather than , for example, a condyle lession.
Anyway, goodluck mate.

Offline rob8647932

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 11:16:40 PM »
How many months since you had the ACI? What can you do at 4 months? Swim, walk? How far?

Thanks
Rob
Left knee - 1997 debridement, 1999 trochlea paste graft / microfracture), 2002 IAGH injections, 2005 plica and synovium removal, 2009 Regenexx injections
Right knee - 1997 debridement, 2000 trochlea paste graft, 2004 IAGH injections, 2008 Regenexx injections

Offline Basil01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 09:15:30 AM »
Sorry for my late reply

At 3 months I was on 1 crutch and not able to walk for more than half a mile on crutches.

I got rid of it by the end of 4th / beginning of 5th month post ops and I had the crutch handy till the end of the 6th month . Now being on the 9th month I can walk more than 5 miles with no problem...

However the knee is clicking and is clicking nicely! But according to my doctor  and my PT this is a GODD sign.

I pressume that all these minor problems will be dealt with during the follow up arthroscopy (I am the first Patient in Greece with multiple lessions so i cosider myself more or less a Guiney pig)

What i can tell you is that swimming helped me a lot ( I was swimming - Thank God in Greece we have a long coastline and our beach house is only 35 minutes drive from the office - almost every day during summer and I managed to stay in the water for up to 2 hours.)

Offline BarryB

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 11:04:57 AM »
Same for me. At about 3-4 months i wasnt limited at all really in terms of movement walking etc, however you could still notice if you had been standing or walking a fair bit and most of the time trying to limit the time spent standing/walking. I went back to my casual job which involved usually about 4 hour shifts walking on concrete without being allowed to sit down....and knee was mainly fine. So you can do what you need to at 4 months but dont push it at all.

I am just over 10 months post-aci and have just had arthroscopic debridement to clean up the overgrowth. I saw the pics and the new cartilage looked really good, so hoping from now that my knee will be perfect!

Good luck mate.

Offline rob8647932

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 12:11:22 AM »
I am about 4 months for trochlea defect and have tried to walk 15-20 minutes. This has caused pain and I am getting frustrated as I am afraid that my past mistakes (took some small stair step at 2 months and 3 months) might have done irrevisible damage. It is still tender and sore if I do any walking over 5 minutes. Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Basil01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 10:34:08 AM »
 am about 4 months for trochlea defect and have tried to walk 15-20 minutes. This has caused pain and I am getting frustrated as I am afraid that my past mistakes (took some small stair step at 2 months and 3 months) might have done irrevisible damage. It is still tender and sore if I do any walking over 5 minutes. Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

I think that you are pushing it.....DO NOT
I, at 3 months was still on crutches and at 4 months was on one crutch
As far as your "mistakes".... no one is unmistakeable.
Small mistakes I think are forgiven but the repetition of them is like "opening the Pandora's box"
My opinion is that the name of the game is "Patience" and rest assure that the progress through time is an exponential one...

Me, being on the 9th month i can walk 7 miles with little pain and no swelling at all but when i visited my doctor and asked him to increase the activities a little bit he FLATLY refused.

Last week I took a isokinetic test of both quadricepts to find out their condition and i was a little bit frustrated find out how weak my left (the operated leg) was.

I think that i still have a long way to go.

Offline rob8647932

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 06:54:07 PM »
Basil,

Were there times when you thought there was no improvement at the 4-5 months stage? It feels like it is never going to get better. It still feels tender and bruised. Maybe the trochela takes longer than the medial condyle area due to its contact with the patella.

Thanks
Rob

Offline Basil01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 02:19:26 AM »
Sometimes indeed I felt pessimistic....Do not loose your courage.
But I underwent the trouble for getting better for being able to ski and play tennis again.
Surely the trochlea takes longer to heal and the greater the lession the greater the time it takes.

Just be patient and persistent and everything will be all right.

Basil

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter what keep smiling!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 09:13:56 PM »
Hi all,
Reading your posts, i'm 6 weeks post ACI with one graft under the patella and two on the trochlea.
My concern is when I can go back to work, I'm due to go back mid March which will be 4 months post op. I'm a midwife and am walking up and down the ward all day, by the sounds of it I may not be able to go back that early? What do you all do, and when did you return to work and how was it on your knee?
Best regards.
Jules
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Dec 01 - bi-lat mircrofracture & LR
Nov 02 - bi-lat debride & LR
Oct 04 - bi-lat A'scopy & harvest
Nov 04 - R ACI
June 05 - R A'scopy/shave
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline BarryB

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 03:54:52 AM »
Hi jules. After my trochlea/patella implant i would say that i didn't go back to work untill 5 to 6 months after implant. I only work casually and this involves about 4 hour shifts on my feet the whole time. When i first started back, i would have a tiny bit of swelling and the knee might feel a little sore, but it would settle down quickly after ice and elevation, so that by the next day it was back to 'normal'. This was opposed to before the implant where any swelling would stay in the knee for months untill i had it drained or literally did nothing for a few weeks to let it settle.

Even when i did go back to work, i tried to spread my shifts out over the week, as if i did a lot of shifts close together i didn't feel like i had enough time to rest the knee.

Anyway, any q's just ask. Gook luck with your rehab.

Offline Basil01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 08:47:40 AM »
Hi Jules

I returned on the 4-months mark on crutches but I am a "white collar labour".
Off course it was not easy as sitting on a chair the leg was swelling due to insufficient blood circulation.

Nevertheless I was able to work for about 6-7 hours per day.

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter what keep smiling!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 10:29:31 AM »
Thank you for your replies,
It sounds like I will need another month off at least! But I will have to see. I get paid full pay up to six months, then half pay for a following six months, but I've been off work since the harvest. So I can stay off work untill the end of March, but I feel that I may need a few weeks longer, which I can't really afford to do, so its a case of wait and see. I'm sure things will work out.
Thanks again.
Jules.
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Dec 01 - bi-lat mircrofracture & LR
Nov 02 - bi-lat debride & LR
Oct 04 - bi-lat A'scopy & harvest
Nov 04 - R ACI
June 05 - R A'scopy/shave
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Basil01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2005, 07:16:07 AM »
Just to give you an update
Yesterday after 11.5 months i underwent an artheoscopy to evaluate my ACI

My friends I have  a BRAND NEW KNEE!!!!!

It was a success and according to my OS the success was rated as follows

femoral condylae lession area abt 8 sq.cm "More than excellent"-his comment
Trachlea "excellent"

in other words a score 100 over 100

my final comments on this method !

It did worth it the whole fuss!! but you must be patient, persistent and  never give up  because during the last year i suffered a lot (i could climp a stair, alays to be carefull could sleep on my tummy, could go to work and faced a lot of problems in general it was a one year  nightmare.

Now it is time to teaching the knee and leg (although both are old dogs) new tricks, How to walk to run climb stairs to bend....a long and full of thorns way.

But i can assure that on August i will be playing tennis and enjoy a good water ski ride(doubles) I think that I am too pld to slalom again

Take care my friends and should you need anything to ask pls do so....

Basil

Now it is