Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PLS HELP re.surgery for degenerative tear  (Read 817 times)

Offline seongbukdong

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
PLS HELP re.surgery for degenerative tear
« on: August 03, 2004, 08:24:53 AM »
Hi, I have had locking of the knee the last few months and an MRI revealed I have "severe intrasubstance degeneration of the posterior half of the body and posterior horn of the medial meniscus, with degenerative free surface tear. Diffuse increased signal intensity is seen involving almost the entire width of the posterior half of the body and the posterior horn due to severe intrasubstance degeneration. There is functional overload resulting in bone marrow edema at the posterior half of the peripheral aspect of the medial tibial plateau. In addition, tiny parameniscal cysts secondary to peripheral tear are also seen at the posterior horn. The anterior horn of the body and anterior horn are normal."

My OS took one look at this report & said it was an open & shut case for a partial meniscectomy/meniscal repair.

However I am a bit concerned as I am not an athlete by any means and try to keep fit by daily walking/swimming/some jogging/tennis/badminton/skiing (not all at the same time! on and off) but am not an exercise freak by any standards. I'm 38 and have never had knee problems until recently but there is a history of arthritis in the family (my mother had a TKR & numerous arthroscopies).

I had the MRI a month ago & since then the locking is less frequent, it really only occurs when I bend down & try to get up. I played a bit of tennis last night & it did feel that it could jar at any time.

My question is should I wait a few more months & see how it develops ie. wait until it is more of an issue, as at the moment I can pretty much do what I like and am not in huge pain, just more irritation when the knee locks. Will the tear heal/get better by itself?

Or should I go ahead & have the operation, but I'm worried about the risk of arthritis later on (he says I will get it anyway) and also the recovery time involved, particularly if he does a meniscal repair.

I intend to get a second opinion but just wondered what anyone else had to recommend. Thanks for your help.

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
Re: PLS HELP re.surgery for degenerative tear
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 03:13:27 PM »
Hi

From your MRI report it seems that your Knee locking and meniscus damage is from degenerative chages in the knee (wear and tear).
The description you have given is indeed a classic case for a partial menisectomy. The fact that the changes are degenerative would all but rule out a repair as this is only carried out in a healthy knee that has been subjected to trauma (and then only on the blood supplied area which is a small percentage of the meniscus)

My advice would be that you should most definately have the surgery and not "wait and see how it develops"....

The tear will not heal by itself and the damage to the meniscus and knee in general will only get worse....as you will see if you read some of the other posts by people who have put surgery off for knee problems.

As far as the fact that you are not an athlete but like to keep fit...this is a good thing... but, playing sports on a damaged meniscus will only increase the damage...so save it for after the op!!

A partial menisectomy is a quick surgery and you will be back on your feet in anywhere from a day or two to a week or two.

Having the partial menisectomy and treating the knee well will lower your chances of arthritis compared to leaving the damage where it will be a cert......

go get the second opinion to help you decide but i am sure they will offer the same advice as the first!

All the best.....
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 03:15:18 PM by andrewc »
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

support