Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I need some advice please!  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Casey_Marie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • and the leg bones connected to the knee bone
I need some advice please!
« on: August 03, 2004, 01:39:57 AM »
Hi. I'm Casey and I'm 16. Since last summer I have been having dislocations of my left knee almost every day. The procedure I'm getting are a VMO Advancement, a Lateral Release and Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy. My doctor hasnt explained them to me so I don't know whats happening. He explained it to my mom, but she don't know how to explain it. I'm totally clueless about  pre-op.. post-op.. and all thats in between.. If any of you know whats going on please help me. What kind've brace do you have to wear, and how long do you have to wear it?  This is my first surgery and I'm really scared, so if any of you guys can help me, I would appreciate it sooo much! Thank you.

Offline pegleg1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: I need some advice please!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 02:37:45 AM »
Although I can't explain any of the procedures to you, I can help you with the overall experience.

I'm 18 and had my first surgery two months ago. I was absolutly terrified about it...I had to wait a year for the surgery, I'd have nightmares, break down crying out of nowhere, and the few weeks before I couldn't have fun because I couldn't stop thinking about it. I think the scariest thing to think of was the actual day of the surgery. I was scared about the anestesia, and just the sheer fact that they were going to cut me open! Just so you know, that ended up to be the easiest part.

So here's what happend on the day of my surgery. I couldn't eat or drink anything for 8 hours before the procedure. This sounds hard, but just keep yourself busy, try sleeping, being with loved ones, something to keep your mind off it. We went to the hospital an hour and a half before the surgery. After some paperwork was taken care of, I was taken into a room for prep. They'll ask you alot of questions about your health, ask you to dress in a hospital gown, and sterilize your knee. I was so nervous during this, but I just convinced myself that it was like a routine check up to keep myself from freaking out. (it really worked too!).

Before they take you into the op room, they'll give you a seditive to help you relax. This made a world of difference to me. It made me really sleepy and gave me that 'druged up' feel. Then they wheel you into the op room. The last thing I remember is seeing the doctor, and falling into a deep sleep. I know it seems wierd to just be sleeping and not feel anything during the surgery, but that's exactly how it goes.

Once the surgery is over, they take you into a recovery room to wake you up. I was in alot of pain when I woke up, but it took me a while to realize it. My surgery was meant to be out-patient, but I ended up being in the hospital for five days. I couldn't move without sobbing from the extreme pain. I know this sounds scary, but the second that the worst is over, you forget about it. The hospital staff did everything they could to make me comfortable, and although I was in pain and scared about what recovery was going to be like, there was never a time I felt unsafe or uncared for while I was there.

There's going to be so many things that will happen in this experience that you will never had expected. It's scary, painful, and pretty depressing. But one thing that has helped me through all of it is my family, my boyfriend and my dog! But whenever I need to talk to someone who is actaully GOING THROUGH what I am, I come here. This website is sooooo helpful, so you should stay on it! Let me know what's happening, how you feel, and if you need someone to complain to, I'm your girl!

Good luck, and keep posting...
-Mischa
LR and MR, femural patella syndrome, full knee dislocation and too many subluxes!

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 03:08:52 AM »
I had my first surgery at age 15. I'm 42 now. I was going in for a simple arthroscopy and came out with a lot of work being done. I, too had many dislocations. Talk to your doctor. Will you see the surgeon again before your op? If not, call his nurse. Ask all the questions on your mind. Ask them specifically about pain control. I was in a lot of pain after all 12 of my surgeries. (My last one was 6yrs ago). Today they can do a lot of things to help with that. They can do nerve blocks, epidurals, spinals. Ask about them. Tell them you're afraid to wake up in pain. Sometimes surgeons are not very sensitive to your pain needs. Let your mom know this, and she can be your advocate. You need one. Your specific surgery is not a walk in the park. It hurts. But it doesn't have to be out of control. There are many many things they can give you. If you're in a "holding" room before surgery and they haven't given you anything for nerves, ask for it. I had to ask because I wasn't complaining. I saw this other guy get something so I asked. There is no one on this board who will lie to you. Knee surgery is painful, but PLEASE keep in mind that it is CONTROLLABLE!!! If you and your surgeon talk about this before your surgery, you should be ok. The key is to ask questions. Just because your 16 doesn't mean you shouldn't have your questions answered. You can also do a search on this site or google about pre-op and post-op. Just type in those words. You'll get a ton of info. Good luck to you. Being scared is normal. But it doesn't have to be painful. Remember, ask questions.

Jane
12 knee surgeries. bilateral patellectomy 22yrs ago. chronic pain, major narcotics. Still looking for help with pain. 42yrs old.

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 03:22:51 AM »
Hi Casey-Marie:

Try looking at the section SPECIFIC KNEE TOPICS called Patellar-Femoral Joing and look under TTT.   It will give you all kinds of information about your kind of surgery and what to expect and what the surgery is really all about.  Your surgery will really help your problem and should make you feel a lot better when you're fully recovered...but it's a difficult recovery and you need to be fully prepared.  

DON'T BE AFRAID...LOTS OF US HERE ON THIS SITE, INCLUDING MYSELF, HAVE HAD THIS SURGERY.  You can get through this and you'll be much better when you're done with the recovery.

Good luck, sweetie.

Hugs!

Holly
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 03:23:58 AM by Holly »
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 06:02:49 AM »
Hey there, Casey,
I had a TTT, Z-release, medial reefing, and VMO advancement this past March. I'm not sure what kind of info you are looking for but here are some links. I also have a photo album and post op diary if you are interested.

http://veggie.org/run/chondromalacia/

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/steps/step_05_patella/realignment.html

http://www.wheelessonline.com/oo1/510.htm

http://users.rcn.com/dcornelius/big_red_knee/

Good luck to you,
 ;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 10:24:43 PM »
Casey,
You asked about pain and I wont lie to ya. It does hurt but it's very tolerable. There is a wonderful assortment of drugs out there.  ;D Just don't be afraid to speak up if you are in pain and do it before the pain gets really bad. I don't know if you read my post op diary. There was a brief period when the pain was BAD and i lost it and was crying and carrying on. BUT, that was because Nurse Attilla was being stingy ( I have no idea why) with the pain meds. I'm thinking she was young and inexperienced. My evening nurse had no problem dispensing drugs and we got along just fine. ;D
Anyway, don't mean to scare you. Just want to emphasise the importance of communication between you and your caretaker. Let them know if you hurt or are nauseous. And take your meds on time, even if you have to set an alarm clock at night to do so.
Anymore ??s just holler,
cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline BuffettBarbie

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 02:30:41 AM »
Casey,

I feel your pain!  (Literally!)  I am scheduled for a TTO on August 20th.  Ugh.  I already had a lateral release in 2001, but my knee rebelled!  If it wasn't for the opinion of two OSs, and the fact my knee sounds like velcro ripping and not cooperating, I wouldn't be having this surgery!  Rrrr....  >:(

Thanks to the rest of you for giving really good advice and putting our minds at ease.  I found this message board via looking up TTO in Google, and am so glad I did!  I'm not alone!  

I'll be sure to post the outcome in the post-op diary.  The good points are: A) The surgeon has performed MANY of these, and is a surgeon for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and B) I'm already on a first name basis with the PT staff (I have had the same PT for three years.)  Good luck with your surgery, and let us know how it goes!
Lateral Release- Left Knee (Feb 2001)
Lateral Release- Right Knee (April 2001)
Fulkerson's TTO, Lateral Release, & Scope- Right Knee (20 Aug 2004)

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 07:51:58 AM »
Hi Casey,

I've had the surgery that you're are going to have, just without the VMO advancement. I won't lie-it is painful but just know that your doctor and everyone at the hospital will do whatever they can to make sure that you're comfortable before you go home and they'll make sure that they give you a prescription for the right kinds of pain meds for when you're at home. There are alot of us on this site who have had this surgery so if you do a search of the board you'll find lots of info and experiences of people who have been through this. I was 19 when I had my first surgery(I just turned 25, today actually) and I was really scared about it, mostly about the anesthesia and about not knowing what was going to happen and how I would feel afterwards. Mischa(pegleg1)did a really good job of explaining pretty much what happens during the whole surgery experience. Just make sure to ask whatever questions you have, don't be afraid to do that because the doctors and nurses are there for that reason-to answer any questions you have and to make sure that you know what's going to happen to you. Just know that it's perfectly normal to be scared. I've had 5 surgeries and I've cried before each and every one of them out of fear. Just know that if you have any questions or need any advice at all, I'm here and always willing to help as is everyone else on this board.

:)
Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

support