Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Recurrent dislocations of the patella and Galeazzi  (Read 716 times)

Offline BridgetJones_uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • Love me love my knees!
Recurrent dislocations of the patella and Galeazzi
« on: August 01, 2004, 09:35:28 PM »
This has probably come up before, and its probably in the worng place, but this is my problem.........

I've had recurrent dislocations of both my patellas since I was 15. Over the past 5 years the dislocations have become worse as I now have to manually reduce them (the pain and the sound...Agh!) and they can come out at any point. I am sporty I run and row and used to be a ballet dancer, but now hardly do anything as they will dislocate, or I end up with ITBS

I had 12 months of physio and taping before being allowed to see a surgeon,  he diagonsed that my patella groove isn't deep enough or long enough, I have a small VMO (which hasn't got bigger through PT), cartilage damage due to dislocations and a degree of chondromalacia. He has suggested surgery (Galeazzi), as he said that I'm increasing my chance of OA by the time I'm 30 everytime they dislocate, but now as being 20, but I am causious as all the evidence is in children, but the papers show good evidence of no recurrent dislocations of 81%.

I am seeing him on thursday and he wants to talk about surgery. I just wanted to know If anyone had had the procedure and what it was like afterwards. I just don't want to make matters worse, but I can't stand the pain I am in at the moment or feel that a GP giving me more pain meds or antinflammatories is the answer....(Also thinking of my stomach!) ?

Any suggestions would be good.......Thanks x

A very scared
M
]xxxxx
Trauma - Dislocation '96
Chondromalacia, PFS '01
Shallow trochlear groove, Patella Alta & tight ITB dx '03
Right Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope 2004
Left Modified Galeazzi, LR  2005
Redo Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope and medial reefing 2007
Right redislocation 2014

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
Re: Recurrent dislocations of the patella and Gale
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 12:51:19 AM »
Hiya

I have no personal experience with this procedure but there appears to be some useful links on this site relating to people who have had it done and also what it involves

Just click on the three links below to see the relevant info

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/kneegeeks/5891641501.html

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/kneegeeks/5863027801.html

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/steps/step_05_patella/realignment.html

Hope it all goes well and try not to be too scared... Im sure it will work out just fine ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 12:56:30 AM by andrewc »
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,