Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Problems In Bed :(  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Wirral Bagpuss

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Problems In Bed :(
« on: July 31, 2004, 10:00:19 PM »
Hello!
 Those of you who know me will know i am still waiting for my knee op, hopefully that will be forhtcomming in August (i hope !!) Anyway my knee is causing me problems in new ways now. Increasingly it is when i am in bed and asleep. I turn in my sleep and in doing so i hurt my knee on several occasions. I have now learnt to manipulate my knee into place. When it does happen though my knee tends to lock and is extremely painful. Is this an extension of a suspected ACL tear or something diffrerent? I am tired of waiting now, i just want to get my knee sorted!!!  :'( :'( :'(
Partial Meniscus Ligament Tear: Repaired Oct 2004

Complete ACLTear:  ACL  Reconstruction March 2005

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
Re: Problems In Bed :(
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 11:51:21 PM »
Hi

Ive not read any of your previous posts so I dont know your injury or situation but the locking you are experiencing in bed is very likely to be a meniscus injury. Bucket handle tears are renown for causing the knee to lock and the knee needing to be manipulated to unlock it as it were!

In addition, if you currently have a suspected ACL tear, a menisus tear is a very common partner to this injury so could be the explanation your looking for.

If you leave a bit more info about your injury etc it may be easier to answer the question though

All the best
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 11:54:36 PM »
You might want to try sleeping in an immobilizer to stabilize it and see if that makes a difference. You can make a "homemade" immobilizer by taking a blanket, folding it longways so it's as wide as your leg is long, and rolling up your leg snugly in it, then secure with tape or an elastic wrap. It's bulky, but cheap to do, and might help restrict movement of the leg enough to help with your misery a little.

Its extremely hard to say what could be causing it to lock. Meniscal tears are one thing that can cause catching and locking.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline christinaz

• Forum Faithful
  • hindsight is 20/20
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 08:26:31 AM »
I found that both before and after my sugeries, it felt better to put a pillow under my leg.  I slept in an immobilizer for a long time, but when I took it off, I had to have the pillows.  I also have to put a pillow between my legs, especially if I sleep on my side.  If my knees touch, it is very uncomfortable.  I still have problems sleeping through the night, but the pillows really do help me.Good Luck.

Christina
3 scopes rt knee, acl recon pt graft rt knee,  rev acl recon allograft rt knee,  Hardware removal, lysis of scar tissue, ITBS, sublaxation, sensory peripheral neuropathy, DDD, arthritis, RSD, mystery hardware, flexion contracture, disuse atrophy, muscular wasting, constant fatigue, acl recon lt knee

Offline allstardiva2005

• Forum Faithful
    • Behind the Jersey
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 07:18:10 PM »
christina and dm are right- immobilizers and pillows are the way to go to try and get comfortable. if my knee ever starts bugging me at night i'll put a pill underneath it for better support and it always seems to make a positive difference.

and yes, locking typically = meniscus tear which you can easily get with an ACL tear (when I tore my ACL, I also tore the posterior horn of my medial meniscus)

Hope you can start to get some better sleep and that the surgery goes well...
xoxo- Christy
Medial Meniscus Repair- '00,03
Partial Meniscectomy- '03, '04
ACL Reconstruction- '02
Exploratory Scope- '05
Allograft ACL Revision & Neuroma Excision- '06
Hardware Removal & Bone Filing- '06
Scar Tissue Removel- '07

** Medial meniscus transplant is in the near future... **