Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: knee op advice wanted  (Read 840 times)

Offline Andy_Corbett

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
knee op advice wanted
« on: July 31, 2004, 02:31:16 PM »
  Hi, im looking for some advice on a procedure that my consultant wants to perform on me. im only 32 but due to a bike ceash 11 years ago, i now apparentley have the knee of an 80 year old. Rather than give me a replacement joint the consultant thinks he can get 10 more years out of my knee before i do need a TKR. The procedure he wants to perform involves breaking the knee removing the degenarative bone growth and resetting the knee. i am getting conflicting views on just how succesfull these procedures actually are, and would be gratefull for any advice or info that anyone out there has on this matter

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: knee op advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 07:51:41 PM »
I'm assuming you're talking about an osteotomy. My doctor also told me I could get 7-10 years out of my knee if I had one. It seems to be pretty controversial among doctors. Some won't do it and some swear by it. I've decided against it for now. I'm 46 and I'm going to try and make it to a total or partial replacement. One doctor told me that if you have one it makes it more difficult to have a total replacement later on and the results aren't as good.

I've found very few people that have had this surgery but a couple of the ones I did find have had some good success, at least for the short term.

It's a tough decision for sure.

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 08:52:53 PM »
I think your OS indeed means an osteotomy, more an HTO Or high Tibial Osteotomy. These surgeries have high succes rates in younger and active people,a s after a TKR your activity level is reduced severely!

Check it out and good lcuk!!

Welcome ;)
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Andy_Corbett

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 09:26:00 PM »
   thanks for the advice, and letting me know just what the procedure is called, i've found out more in five minutes on this site than the consultant could be bothered to explain to me, so thanks again

Offline Wirral Bagpuss

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 10:03:34 PM »
Yikes!! That sounds painful!!!  :o :o Best of luck with the op!!! Let us know how you get on!!  ;)
Partial Meniscus Ligament Tear: Repaired Oct 2004

Complete ACLTear:  ACL  Reconstruction March 2005