Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: mri report - please help on translating it  (Read 1014 times)

Offline shelly01144

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • wishing I could be a ski bunny again!!
mri report - please help on translating it
« on: July 10, 2004, 03:59:45 PM »
Could anyone please shed some light on the following, thank you!!

Clinical:  ?Medial meniscal tear, ? ACL tear, Twisting injury to the left knee 19-04-2004

Sequences:  T1 SE sagittal, T2 gradient echo sagittal, T1 STIR coronal, T2 axial TSE fat suppressed, radial FISP images were obtained.

Report:  The anterior cruciate ligament is visualised, but the anterior low signal line, which is usually seen is not clearly defined in its lower part and this raises the suspicion of ?partial tear of the ACL. Normal PCL.  Normal extensor apparatus.  N
mal medial and lateral meniscus.  Collateral ligaments are visualised and intact.  There is extensive bone bruising noted in the femur and upper tibia.  In the femur there are high signal changes noted in both medial and lateral condyles, but more promi
nt in the lateral condyle.  In the upper end of the tibia there are high signal changes noted.  This is also thought to represent a bone bruise, although I note there may be some red marrow changes in this age group(by the way I am only 29 years old!)  
derate joint effusion noted.  No other significant abnormality.

Could you please tell me what the following means, thank you very much for all your help.

Bone bruising in the lower end of the femoral condyles on both sides and upper part of the tibial condyle.

Moderate joint effusion
Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it!
Midlands, England

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 98
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: mri report - please help on translating it
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 06:21:50 PM »
Clinical:  ?Medial meniscal tear, ? ACL tear, Twisting injury to the left knee 19-04-2004

Ans: On taking your story and examining you, the doctor thinks you may have torn the medial meniscus (one of the two shock absorbers wedged between the thighbone and shinbone)   and/or  maybe you have torn the anterior cruciate ligament, one of the two stabilising ligaments situated between the menisci.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 06:28:52 PM by admin »
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 06:24:28 PM »
Sequences:  T1 SE sagittal, T2 gradient echo sagittal, T1 STIR coronal, T2 axial TSE fat suppressed, radial FISP images were obtained.

Ans: An MRI scan is a technique of imaging the inside of the knee, so that you can look at 'virtual' slices of it. The 'sequences' referred to are the technician telling the doc what slice angles and what image enhancements were used.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 06:29:03 PM by admin »
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 06:26:35 PM »
Report:  The anterior cruciate ligament is visualised, but the anterior low signal line, which is usually seen is not clearly defined in its lower part and this raises the suspicion of ?partial tear of the ACL. Normal PCL.  

Ans: The MRI is suggestive of (but the doctor is not certain) a tear of the anterior cruciate ligament. The other cruciate ligament, the posterior one, is OK.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 06:29:20 PM by admin »
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 06:28:32 PM »
Normal extensor apparatus.  N
mal medial and lateral meniscus.  Collateral ligaments are visualised and intact.  

Ans: No problem with kneecap or its tendon. The two menisci (plural of meniscus) are OK. The collateral ligaments at the side of the knee are OK.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 06:29:32 PM by admin »
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 06:31:21 PM »
There is extensive bone bruising noted in the femur and upper tibia.  In the femur there are high signal changes noted in both medial and lateral condyles, but more promi
nt in the lateral condyle.  In the upper end of the tibia there are high signal changes noted.  This is also thought to represent a bone bruise, although I note there may be some red marrow changes in this age group(by the way I am only 29 years old!)  

Ans: It certainly looks as if the knee took a knock as the bony ends of thighbone and shinbone both appear bruised.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 06:32:38 PM by admin »
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 06:32:04 PM »
Moderate joint effusion noted.  No other significant abnormality.

Ans: There is some fluid inside the joint space.
--
KNEEguru

Offline shelly01144

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • wishing I could be a ski bunny again!!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 02:24:42 AM »
Thank you very much knee guru administrator, I was wondering if I would find any answers out there!!  Thank you for such a great wedsite!!  Keep up the good work!!
Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it!
Midlands, England