Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Newbie questions about an injury  (Read 664 times)

Offline bugoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Newbie questions about an injury
« on: July 29, 2004, 04:19:17 AM »
Hi everyone,

I just discovered this forum today and the site has been extremely helpful.  I never knew so much existed on knee injuries but now that I have one, I am SO glad there is info to be found.

I'm looking for some input on what I should do--if anything until I can get to my othro on Monday the 2nd.  First of all, I'm not athletic and have never had a sports injury at all.  However, I had a bike crash on Monday 28th--I ended up falling on my left side.  I don't remember how my leg was when I crashed--I just remember some major pain and swelling.  I had to go to the ER because it was just too painful.  I tired to tell myself it was just a little sprain but I couldn't walk.  

The X-ray showed no fractures and they referred me to an ortho, who will probably do an MRI to see what damage there is.  He is on vacation till the second.   The ER put my leg in a brace and I have been on crutches since.  The first night it hurt bad but since then, it has been pretty good unless I accidentally twist it when I sit at my desk or something like that.  It stings occasionally on the inside of my knee, which is weird.  Feels like something is pinching in there on the left side.  ??  But that is not constant.  I can also sit at my computer for quite a while with it propped up (in the brace).    I tried sitting at the computer without the brace, knee slightly bent, but eventually it feels like the weight of a cinder block is pressing on it.  

The swelling has almost gone away and I've been wondering if I should try to do anything with my leg--like walk!    ;D  
I've not had an injury before and the ER was not helpful when I called back for more info.  The ortho said they could not give info over the phone, which I understand.  I can flex my foot and can bend my leg a little bit.  I just try to bend the knee till it feels like it's going to snap and then I stop.  I can't make it to a 45 degree angle.  I can rest my foot on the floor and put a little bit of weight on it, but I'm a big baby and afraid to do anything else.

So, all of that to ask if I should just not do anything till next Monday. Is it worse to do nothing?  The knee feels extremely tight--like the muscles just can't (or won't) bend and if I force it, they will just snap.  :o  

I don't know if all of that means torn ligaments or cartilage or something worse...

Any adivce for a newly inuured knee?

Thanks so much for any input. I am really trying to read up on knee injuries but I still feel like I know so little.

Lisa

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Newbie questions about an injury
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 04:45:08 AM »
I would follow the ER advice and not try anything until you see the OS. Just ice, elevate and rest until then. You could also take anti-inflammatories (Advil, Motrin). When elevating, remember to keep the knee above the heart and the foot above the knee. Since you really don't know what happened, I wouldn't try to bear weight on it until you see the OS.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline bugoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Newbie questions about an injury
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 05:48:02 AM »

Should I still be icing it? I sleep with it elevated just because that feels so much better but I stopped the ice a few days ago because the swelling went down so much.  I am taking advil and aspirin sometimes, too.