Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: side effects of femoral block after TKR  (Read 1114 times)

Offline dknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
side effects of femoral block after TKR
« on: July 24, 2004, 03:02:34 AM »
Hi -
Had TKR on Feb 13th (should have known better).  Had a femoral nerve block which worked great for immediate post op pain but have had other pain which is only relieved by Nuerontin or massive doses of Percoset.

Have anyone out there experienced any side effects of femoral block??

Thank you!

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
Re: side effects of femoral block after TKR
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 04:39:50 PM »
Hey dknees:

This isn't exactly a "side effect" of a femoral nerve block.  It's just that a femoral nerve block (much like the "novocaine" you get when you have a tooth filled) is only meant to last a certain amount of time...and then it quits!  So the pain you're feeling now is just the post-op pain associated with the surgery you've had.  Unfortunately, for many that means dealing with it with pain meds such as those you've mentioned.

So, again, it's not that there was anything WRONG with your femoral nerve block.  It's just GONE! ;D

Hope you're feeling much better soon!

Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 05:24:02 PM »
HI dknees, I had a nerve block with my last surgery and I loved it. The only problem was,,,,,,,, it didnt last long enough. It does wear off sooner than we would like but I didnt have any side effects from it. Best of luck on your recovery
Missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline dknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 05:01:23 PM »
Thank you for your response...my surgery was five months ago..there is NO bone pain - it's ALL nerve pain - like when you foot falls asleep - most of my leg feels that way.  

???Am just trying to find out if anyone else is going thru this and what their soultion(s) haave been!! ???