Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Re: Hot Knee & Swelling  (Read 1394 times)

Offline whatzmyname

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Hot Knee & Swelling
« on: July 22, 2004, 10:50:47 AM »
Hot knee and swelling is caused by inflammation to the tissue. Ice must be applied on a regular basis throughout the day to alleviate the swelling and subdue the pain. It is particularly important to do this the first two weeks after such an operation. If you do not try to get the swelling down it will delay the knee's improvement with regards to bending and walking properly. This is all normal and everybody here has or is going through the same thing. Good luck! :D
Torn ligaments due to dislocation
Fractured retropatella (back of kneecap)
Arthroscopy
8/6/2004

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 03:31:47 PM »
Don't forget to elevate your leg above your heart.  This will help as well.
If it doesn't ease, and you are still worried, seek out medical advice. Keep an eye on the area and watch out for any redness that radiates like fingers.  This is a sign of infection and must be seen to asap.
Otherwise just keep up with the ice and elevation.
Good luck.
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline Gab

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Boston, USA
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 08:47:56 PM »
As was said before, inflammation is the culprit. I'm 6 weeks post ACL reconstruction and still have a hot and swollen knee. I'm meeting with my OS in 2 hours and will ask for his opinion on the subject as it's really bothersome when I have an inflammation crisis.
April 14th, 2004: Floor hockey accident, complete ACL tear (left knee).
June 11th, 2004: ACL reconstruction, patellar tendon autograft.
January 21st, 2005: Cyclops Lesion removal

Offline mrmk1111

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 10:36:33 PM »
Me too!!! :-[ its been 4 weeks to the day since I shatterd my patella and they wired it together :P I understand that the acl??? had been cut loose then too so they fixed it too.It is 10-15 degrees hotter than my leg Is it normal?? ??? of course They put me back to work. ::).mikey
shattered pattella 6/21/04,surgary 6/23/04,back to work now but still have hardware and pain with swelling.8/22/05 still swells and hurts.can't run but lots better.4/27/06 Had hardware removed
1/18/09 It still hurts to do the stairs.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 12:41:31 AM »
Inflammation and swelling can cause heat, redness, and a feeling of a full or heavy knee.  The pins and needles feeling can be either due to this swelling, or it can be his nerves kicking back in after the trauma of surgery.  This is all pretty much par for the course.  The remedy is to ice and elevate when the knee is inflamed like this.  Ice can be applied for 20 minutes, then removed for 30-40, then applied again.  Do not ice too much as it can cause rebound heat and swelling.  In the first 48-72 hours after surgery it's okay to ice pretty much around the clock, but once you are out of the immediate, acute post-op phase you shouldn't ice for more than 20 minutes at a time.  Make sure the knee 'thaws out' between icings.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline sfmama

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 05:47:10 AM »
Oh good, I'm so glad that i'm not the only one with a hot knee.  It actually wasn't so noticeable before, but now 6 weeks post op, it's become REALLY hot.
I was wondering, is your swelling soft and puffy, or hard and lumpy?
Tibial plateau fx, Type III
6/15/04 surgery: bone graft and three screws
8/10/04 begin PWB

support