Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Short fall, hurt knee, no insurance, so sad, help  (Read 781 times)

Offline BLUEGILL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Short fall, hurt knee, no insurance, so sad, help
« on: July 23, 2004, 06:32:15 AM »
Well, I managed to fall off a ladder about  5 months ago and landed on my feet like a cat but my knee was injured in that fall I'm sure.  Unfortunately I do not have insurance or workmans comp to help.  My folks could pay but I don't really want them too but I desperately want my good ole knee back.  I've not had any excruciating pain or swelling from the injury till now but a reocurring discomfort especially when my leg is straight and I try to tighen my knee or while walking I don't straighten the bad leg/knee while walking I keep it bent instead which does not create pain.  When I bend my knee at a 90 degree angle and apply pressure with my fingers at a point below the knee cap on the right side in between the two big joints there is discomfort only felt at that spot when bent.  I have a new job that requires a lot of walking and sometimes on rugged terrain and I can handle it with not much discomfort but it's a little sore at the end of the day.
Should I get a general purpose neoprene brace for extra support and use ice and ibuprofin for pain, etc.?? I will health coverage after 3 months and it's been suggested to wait until then to have it checked and take it from there.  I'm an active 28 year and ran cross country in high school so I guess I've had it good until now and of course it could be worse and through treatment it may get better.  I'm pretty sad though but hanging in there; I would greatly appreciate any comments. :-/

Offline whatzmyname

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Short fall, hurt knee, no insurance, so sad, h
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 04:57:16 PM »
Well you survived this long so I am sure 3 more months would be okay. After work ice your knee and take ibuprofen and elevate the leg. You must go to an OS as soon as you get you health coverage. If you dont get these type of things treated while you are still young and healthy you will pay a big price for it later on. Good luck!
Torn ligaments due to dislocation
Fractured retropatella (back of kneecap)
Arthroscopy
8/6/2004

Offline BLUEGILL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Short fall, hurt knee, no insurance, so sad, h
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 02:21:35 AM »
Thanks, Whatzmyname, I will defenitely get it treated and I can handle three more months unless luck is not on my side.  I think I will get a simple knee brace and use the ice and elevate the leg.  take care ;)

support