Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 3-weeks post op  (Read 2580 times)

Offline ajcopper

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
3-weeks post op
« on: July 21, 2004, 01:56:00 AM »
I'm 3 weeks post op and getting ansy. This is my third surgery for my OCD but this is my first OATS procedure. (If I understand correctly, they just scraped the surface and hoped it would grow back ok: first in 1989 and again in 1994. Don't know if I reinjured it or if it never healed properly but it has given me trouble since I was 12.)  I'll live - and trust me, there is nothing that will make me put weight on it after reading some of the stories here!

Has anyone heard that ibuprofen can interrupt the healing of bone? My OS said he prefers I not take any and gave me more pain meds when I saw him last week. He said I could take up to 800mg/daily.

This may seem like a silly question but if the plug gets out of place somehow, it WILL hurt, right? I slipped the other day on water and caught myself with my leg... but I have no additional pain or swelling since so I'm thinking it is fine. But it's definitely at the back of my head that I may have screwed this up...

Thanks for any replies and good luck to everyone! -angie
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 02:52:47 AM by ajcopper »

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: 3-weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 06:16:40 PM »
Angie,

Just wanted to wish you luck with your recovery.  Being only 3 weeks out I can understand the being ansy thing.  I am 6 weeks out of my second OATS and still ansy.  If you read some of the previous posts you probably know that somehow my original graft shifted and had to have it redone so I couldnt stress enough the importance of NWB.  Alot of Drs are different with how long to be NWB but whatever your DR says, be sure and stick with it.  
If you are concerned about having damaged the plug some how when you slipped I would mention it to your OS.  I didnt notice that mine wasnt right until I started weight bearing.  It is pretty easy to do an xray to see if the plug is still sitting right.  Although an xray can not see cartilage it certainly can see bone and if you somehow shifted the plug and xray can see that.  
I havent heard anything about not taking ibuprofen.  I personally stopped taking the prescription pain meds about a week after my surgeries...I hated the drugged up feeling.  My OS said anything for pain is fine.  I currently take Motrin or Aleve as needed for pain.
Good luck and hang in there...and keep doing the quad sets!!!!
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline ajcopper

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 11:13:11 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. I will definitely check in with my OS about the slip.

I do have one other question: is it normal to have super-sensitive skin between the area of the incisions? I have 2 incisions in the shape of an X, one on each side of my knee and the skin in the middle is super sensitive to touch now.

I think I'm doing really well so far (other than the slip and skin). My ROM is -2 - 127, the swelling has decreased tremendously (I have an outline of a knee cap again!!!) and the incisions are healed nicely. I'm supposed to be 6-weeks NWB (though I was originally told 4 weeks), so 3 weeks to go.

I also have an EMPI machine (the little contraption that sends an electrical current through your muscle to help build it up) at home and my quad is coming back already after shrivelling to nothing the first week. I hope that helps when the doc says to put weight on my leg.

A friend of mine gave me a magnet to place on my knee after surgery and I think it helped for healing, crazy as that seems. Sounded like hocus-pocus to me but this surgery seems to be healing better than the previous two I had - and this one was MUCH more invasive.

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 08:14:30 PM »
Angie,

You certainly sound like you are doing well.  Your ROM is certainly better than mine was at your point.  I'm just reaching 127 now at 6 weeks and that is with my PT pushing really hard...quite painful I might add.

Regarding the super sensitive skin...I think that is normal.  I have it as well.  I had an open procedure with a 6 inch incision and all around it is still super sensitive and numb in spots.  It had definately gotten better but the numbness hasnt changed.  OS says it might never come back.

The magnet thing sounds interesting.  I heard someone else mention it once but never tried it.  Hey, if its working for you...keep doing it.  
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline tsanford07

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 04:58:29 AM »
Angie,

I have not heard of not taking Ibuprofen for that reason but you never know with medicine they always find something wrong with things that are suppose to help  ;D....any way your skin being sensitive is very normal and it may even start to itch very badly around the scares of where they cut you...my skin remained sensitive for 6-8 months out of surgery...hopefully yours will not be like that....the best way to help that sensitivity is for you to start rubbing the area with one or two fingers very litely everyday everytime you think about it.....believe me it will help...soon you will see results.... ;)....I know how hard it is to be in the house unable to do what you want to do especially in the summer...I had my second surgery in July 2003 and it was awful not being able to go outside and enjoy the summer....but keep your mind on the fact soon you will back on your feet enjoying everything again.....I pray you have a speedy recovery...

Tara  8)

Offline ajcopper

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 12:09:52 AM »
I will definitely start rubbing the skin area. Thanks for the advice.

I started having pain yesterday in my knee for the first time since my surgery which was now 4-weeks ago. I have an appointment tomorrow so I will inquire about it then. I'm hoping it's normal healing pains...

I do wish I was  swimming with our dogs this summer, but I'm glad I did this surgery in the summer rather than the winter.  I snowboard... and I'm hoping to be able to get out toward the end of the coming season (the ski-season here is November through April). That's what I'm keeping my fingers crossed for :)

Offline ajcopper

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 11:15:07 PM »
Hi Kathleen -  I saw on another post you were going back on crutches for a couple weeks - are you walking on it now? How's it going?

I'm 5 weeks out now. I feel pretty good - one more week of crutches until I get an xray to see how it looks. My PT said not to come back until my OS ok's weight bearing. I can't wait! Me and my dogs are anxiously awaiting the day we can resume our morning walks :)

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 11:38:28 PM »
Hi Angie,

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling great.  Hopefully you will get the ok to start weight bearing next week.  It is exciting when you can move to the next step.  Just take it slow.  Try not to be overly anxious.

I'm hanging in there.  My PT called my OS yesterday and now he wants to see me.  I have an appointment on Friday.  I did go back to two crutches for a week or so but even doing so I have been having some trouble with walking, sleeping and...well basically everything.  Constant ache, catching and sharp pains on the medial side of the knee cap.  It seems like it is 'soft tissue' related.  The graft site feels wonderful, no more joint line tenderness or pains at all there, which makes me very happy.  I think the graft is holding up great this time around.  My problem seems to be with scar tissue.  My PT and OS want to stay on top of it so I think he will be giving me a cortisone shot when I see him.  I have read so much on this site about scar tissue so I am very aware of the dangers involved.  I did have some troubles with it with the 1st surgery and we were able to beat it...hopefully we can again.
Keep your fingers crossed for me and I'll do the same for you for next week!!
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

support