Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Re: If You Have 1 Surgery , Do You Have To Have Mo  (Read 808 times)

Offline hopeful1

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Be good to yourself...
Re: If You Have 1 Surgery , Do You Have To Have Mo
« on: July 21, 2004, 05:01:55 AM »
Hi, BooHoo-

Not a silly question!  I have no idea about the number of people who go on the need more surgery - but do keep in mind, that many people do fine, but you tend to not hear about those stories on this site.  Many people come here when things have been a challenge, and they want answers and support.  When things go fine, or as expected, people do not tend to come here or post their stories.  

I think this is a great place to find support and answers!  But I hope the horror stories don't give you the wrong idea!

Cheers!

L.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 05:11:04 AM by hopeful1 »
Fell 3/02
TTT, lateral release, VMO transfer & meniscus repair on 4/20/04
Lysis of adhesions/MUA on 6/10/04
FULL ROM by 7/19/04
Normal minimal function (ie, stairs, walking, etc) by 8/23/04
NO probelms since!!
Pregnant spring 05 - Due 9/05!!!

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 05:08:41 AM »
I had my ACL reconstructed 14 years ago and have not had any more surgeries because of it except for having a screw removed. My torn meniscus though, has resulted in 3 surgeries.

You don't have to have any surgeries if you don't want them. Nobody can make you. It just depends on how much pain and instability you're willing to put up with. If you do have surgery a lot depends on you and how dedicated you are to rehab. Keeping your knee strong requires a lifetime of of work, if you're not willing to do it then you shouldn't have surgery.

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 06:13:05 PM »
Boo!! ;D

If I would have goe for the TTT in the first place, I probably would only have had 1 surgery. But however i wanted to try the lateral release first, knowing it had a 70% chance of failing.

Not a stupid question though! But most people want to try the less invasive surgery first before going for the major cut.

Wish you good luck!!

Helena ;)
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Gab

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Boston, USA
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 06:48:48 PM »
Yeah, that's my concern as well. I read so many horror stories in here that I'm praying the surgery I had will be the only one.

I too had an ACL reconstruction but WITHOUT meniscal repair (woohoo  :D). I know that if I'm diligent with PT (which I have been so far), my chances of not having to go under the knife again are good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I'm hobbling around through rehab.

Good luck to your son.
April 14th, 2004: Floor hockey accident, complete ACL tear (left knee).
June 11th, 2004: ACL reconstruction, patellar tendon autograft.
January 21st, 2005: Cyclops Lesion removal

Offline allstardiva2005

• Forum Faithful
    • Behind the Jersey
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 07:40:18 PM »
i partially tore my acl and my medial meniscus in one incident. had surgery to repair the meniscus in 2000, then needed 2 more surgeries in 2003. and i'm going to have another one next month. in 2002, i finally completely tore my acl and had the reconstruction surgery, i haven't needed anymore to fix that issue.

xoxo- Christy
Medial Meniscus Repair- '00,03
Partial Meniscectomy- '03, '04
ACL Reconstruction- '02
Exploratory Scope- '05
Allograft ACL Revision & Neuroma Excision- '06
Hardware Removal & Bone Filing- '06
Scar Tissue Removel- '07

** Medial meniscus transplant is in the near future... **

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 05:09:52 AM »
I've had two. Obviously, the kneecap had to be repaired (surgery #1), then the hardware issues had to be addressed (surgery #2) before I could regain an acceptable level of function.

More to your point, however, is the fact that I would have had to have a third surgery, if I had not insisted on a second opinion before I went through surgery number two. The second opinion, with its accompanying xrays and MRI, revealed meniscus problems that would not have been discovered during a simple hardware-removal. Because of that diagnosis, I was able to have the equivalent of three surgeries all at once (hardware removal, lateral meniscus trim, and medial meniscus trim).

If there's a lesson to be learned here, maybe it's that sometimes recovery is segmented and sequential, therefore requiring more than one surgery.

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March