Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Taming the post-traumatic OA beast  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Taming the post-traumatic OA beast
« on: July 17, 2004, 03:01:05 AM »
Well, I'm currently improved to a point where I feel like it would qualify as a success story.  First, a little background on how I got to the present.  All of this was on the right knee:

1. Partial lateral menisectomy - 1994 - torn in Tae kwon do

2. hammy ACL recon/ chondroplasty - 1998 - dog went one     way,  ACL went the other

3. chondroplasty, revision notchplasty, plica excision - 1998 - hit by car in front of the hospital on the way to PT (yeah, I know)

4. retrieval of broken screw from joint, extensive chondroplasty, partial medial menisectomy 1999 - the ACL screw pulled out and destroyed a lot of articular cartilage

5. reconstruction of MCL and medial joint capsule, subtotal medial menisectomy - 2000 - 2 weeks after surgery #4 slipped (in the OR) and tore the aforementioned parts - rehabbed extensively for a year and the joint was so loose I was at risk for blowing out my ACL graft

So, that brings me to the most recent chapter.  4 years of worsening pain, inability to climb stairs, walk, stand, sleep, etc.

6. chondroplasty for recurrent grade 4 femoral condyle lesion - January 2004 - followed by Synvisc, an unloader brace, Celebrex and amitriptyline.  My OS told me I wouldn't make it 5 years without a TKR and should consider finding a different job where I didn't have to stand so much (I work in the OR)

I was in PT 3 times a week for 3 months and had my PT help me come up with a home exercise plan.  PT really sucked, but I stuck with it.  My goal was to do more with the same pain level.  I currently do the elliptical, sliding board, trampoline and leg presses 2-3 times/week.  Oh, and I lost 41 pounds since the last surgery.

Currently, I have minimal rest pain.  I still have some pain with any sort of weight bearing activity, but it is tolerable compared to what it was in the past.  29 is a touch too young for a TKR if I have anything to say about it.

I'm not going down without a fight!
Danielle

32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Taming the post-traumatic OA beast
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 04:18:33 AM »
Hooray for you! ;D Way to go!
But, tell me, what is a sliding board and what do you do on it? ???

cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline Kelli_Bear

• Regular Poster
  • This too shall pass
So good to hear your determination
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 06:13:22 AM »
On a day when I am flaying around in doubt.

Good for you!  You have worked hard and it sounds as if it is paying off!  Thanks for sharing your success.

Kelli
Partial medial meniscus removal 7/03, 9/03, re-injury 6/04 - partial lateral/medial meniscus removal, chondroplasty
6/04 30% medial meniscus left.  7/15 left knee scoped - still healing & new Mommy!

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Re: Taming the post-traumatic OA beast
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 06:13:26 PM »
A sliding board is used to help with proprioception and strengthening with side-to-side motion (like using the tramp or a BAPS board).  I've seen them where they're just a slippery surface and you wear footies to slide back and forth.  The one I use has a track with a platform and you slide from side to side.  It's supposed to be good to rehab for things like skiing.

Hang tough with the exercising!  Don't give up.
Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05