Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What does this sound like?  (Read 958 times)

Offline WyleSF

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
What does this sound like?
« on: July 14, 2004, 09:07:14 AM »
Hey all, A few months ago I got out of bed and noticed that the back of my leg (behind knee) felt swollen and was stiff, though nothing was noticeable. Since then i've noticed that when i bend my leg to far back that i feel something pop on the left side of my knee, this pretty much happens every time i bend it past a certain distance. I went to the doctor who told me to stay off it for two weeks. I stayed off it but it still happens... i bought a good brace ( I play soccer, Goalie so not much running ) but sometimes when i over do myself my leg gets sore and swells behind my knee and its stiff for a few days. I had X-rays turned out fine, doctor says I have patella syndrome. I am thinking that maybe two weeks was not enough time for my leg to heal .  I have no problem walking and do normal movements with no problem.  I have started to notice that i have pain when in my knee mainly when walking up hill.  I have a MRI coming up on the 24th, till then if anyone has any ideas on what this could be I would love to hear them :)  thanks and a have a great day!
-Anthony

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: What does this sound like?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 10:41:30 PM »
Did anyone mention a Baker's cyst? It is an accumulation of fluid behind the knee. There isn't much to be done about a Baker's cyst except taking anti-inflammatories, icing and taking it easy when it flares up. If they drain the cyst, it just comes back. It is a symptom of another problem in the knee, i.e. your patella problem. Just a thought. (also: Patella syndrome means nothing. Find out exactly what the doctor meant. That sounds like a catch-all diagnosis that doesn't really pinpoint what your problem is.)

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Cora

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 06:38:10 AM »
I'm not a doctor, but I was diagnosed with Patellar Syndrome, also known as chondromalacia, patellar femoral pain and other names.  The underside of the knee cap is inflamed.  It's usually caused by the kneecap not tracking right.

It can cause pain in the front of the knee cap or around it.  Other parts of my leg were achey because I limped around for 2 months and still am.

Does your knee pop when you extend your leg?  Do you feel like your joint is crunchy as you touch it with your hand and you bend the knee?

It takes 3-6 months to improve and benefits the most from physical therapy.  I know hearing that sucks.  I played soccor and softball for 14 years.  I'm 32 and sports were my world out of work as a single gal living alone with no kids.  But sometimes you need to accept change to deal with what's important now.

Good luck!
Right knee- Septic Infection 1988, Skiing Injury with a severe medial sprain 1997, Softball injury with medial sprain 2004, PFS with arthritis diagnosed 2004.

Offline WyleSF

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 01:19:32 AM »
Thanks for the responses, I am an active person an i hope i can get back to being as active as before.  If anyone else has any ideas :) feel free to post and thanks again :)