Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: So glad I am not alone in my pain and frustration  (Read 1546 times)

Offline ntrgrl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
So glad I am not alone in my pain and frustration
« on: August 06, 2004, 07:24:26 AM »
 :-/   I had my first surgery a LR on July 1st; a week later due to extreme pain, drainage and an infection I went back into the operation room for a clean up of the hematoma and excess fluid.

I was in a knee imoblizer for 32 days and I started P/T this week. I can do the leg lifts but I'm having trouble with the heel slides. My physical therapist has been working on manually bending my knee. When he does this the pain is unbearable! :o :o :o

I just wonder if others are finding that p/t, though necessary is painful and sometimes discouraging.  :-[

I knew to expect pain; however, knowing what I know now I am second guesing my decision to have surgery... anyone else  ???
7/1: LR & Patella re-alignment/clean-up; (L)knee... 7/8: hematoma formed & infection, lots of pain & septic...back into OR for irrigation & antibotics. Knee imoblized for 4wks. PT now 2X a wk.

Offline pegleg1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: So glad I am not alone in my pain and frustrat
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 08:59:54 AM »
Wow. Reading your post is like reading my own journal. I had a lateral release and a medial reefing on the 7th of June. I had no idea that it was going to turn out so painful. For about a month of PT my therapist could barely touch my leg without me crying. It was awful. I couldn't make any progress because I was so sensitive.

I'm starting to make more progress in PT, but it can be so discouraging! This week I lost about 10 degrees of ROM, and I have been working so hard! I also hate doing therapy at home. I ended up getting a total gym to help my build my quad, but I dread using it. It's so hard to be motivated to exercise when it is so unbelievably painful! My mom is always pushing me to do more, but I just can't bring myself to deal with the pain.

I'm really torn about my decision to get surgery. I honestly don't think I would have agreed to it if I had known that it was going to be this terrible. But on the other hand, if I hadn't gotten it, I'd always be worried about dislocating my knee. I've spent alot of time the past two months kicking myself for making this decision. But this is the conclusion I've come to: I can't change my decision about the surgery, but I can make new decisions to heal quickly and not let this get me down as much. I can't change the past, but I have complete control over tomorrow. I literally have to repeat that to myself to get through this.

I guess we'll just have to keep on pushing, and try not to be too discouraged. Let's keep eachother updated...sounds like our problems are really similar (unfortunately!)

-Mischa
LR and MR, femural patella syndrome, full knee dislocation and too many subluxes!

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 05:57:25 PM »

lhey guys...see my stats below.... ::)...yes..we all have those feelings i know and can certainly relate..my maquet led to major hip probs (arthritis/necrosis/constant pain and numbness)....my first acl/lr/med meniscus led to a staph infection that landed me in the hospital for another wk and cost me a college hoops season..and led me down this twisted road... :)

we all have these doubts..we're human and are reacting to pain, doubt, and the feeling that we've made the problem worse...sometimes our families and friends tend to feed these fires of doubt...

hang in there....keep pushing and remember we're all in this same boat and we all can understand and support...

have a great wkend
cheers

ron
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Offline ntrgrl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 03:18:28 AM »

Wow!  :o...  sounds like you can definitely relate to my ordeal. Yesterday I felt horrible and discouraged after p/t; after reading other postings and getting the responses to my thoughts I am not feeling so alone.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement; together we just might get through this.

Keep me posted on your recovery and I will do the same.  ;D

7/1: LR & Patella re-alignment/clean-up; (L)knee... 7/8: hematoma formed & infection, lots of pain & septic...back into OR for irrigation & antibotics. Knee imoblized for 4wks. PT now 2X a wk.

Offline californianative

• Regular Poster
  • Lisa....a California Native
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 04:10:17 AM »
Heck no, you are far from alone! Heel slides do suck, but just do your best to work on your exercises whenever you can at home. There is so much less pressure on you at home. I worked and worked on mine at home, if they see improvement, they won't work them for you, at least that is what my PT did. It is much easier to suck it up thru the pain on your own terms! Good luck!
Lisa...a California Native
2003 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving
2004 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving, lateral release, meniscus repair, resurfacing of the bones.

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 06:40:06 PM »
Hi everyone!

I ABSOLUTELY UNDERSTAND what you're going through...the pain, the doubt, the wishing that you had NEVER AGREED TO DO THIS AWFUL THING!  But that's just where you are now.  I know it may be hard to believe, but sooner than you think you'll be where I am and glad you've been through the rough times and on the other side.

Just 4 months ago, I had a double osteotomy (tibia and femur, right leg) with 2 tibial screws and 5 femoral screws and a 4 1/2" L-shaped femoral plate, together with a Lateral Release and chondroplasty.  Obviously, this was HUGE surgery (and my 8th!) in a series of surgeries to correct severe damage caused by being run over by a car 6 years ago.  Up until this surgery, most of my operations had been comparatively minor.  So, as I was working my way through PT (UNBELIEVABLY PAINFUL!!) and the torpor of being Non Weight Bearing and being home for 3 months on disability and so on and so on...I thought I had made a horrific decision to do this thing.  That was for the first 2 months anyway.  

Now, I can't believe how much better my knee and leg are!  I'm amazed at how much more functional I am, how much better PT is, how proud I am of the recovery I've made.  I know now that I ABSOLUTELY DID THE RIGHT THING!  It's just during those dark, sleepless, painful nights and days that you wonder what you could possibly have been thinking to have let yourself go through with this! ???

All I can say is...hang in there, post whenever you need a little support (or a lot! ;D), work to the best of your ability at PT, and one day you'll be amazed at how far you've come!

Hugs, my honeys!

Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 12:54:51 AM »
mischa..how are you feeling?..havin a tough pain day but work will be over in a hr or so and i can go home take some meds and ice.....anything new?...hanging in there?...hope you're ok

have a good pain free/aft/nite

best

ron
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Offline ntrgrl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 02:43:59 AM »
Hi Everyone.. saw the doctor today. He says that if I'm not past 90 degrees on my ROM he's going to have to take me back into the OR for a manipulation.  He is full of [email protected]&&!  According to my claim adjuster, if he's determined to do it after the next 10 dys. and I am against it I can get a 2nd opinion. (Which I plan on doing before I go through any more excuitating pain! :'()

I am taking it one day at a time. P/T next 3dys... I plan on working as hard as I can. My focus for the week is showing improvement on my ROM and walking with a single crutch.

On an up side... I was able to shower last night with the aide of a shower chair and my husband checking on me every 10 minutes.  ;D

Hugs to all,  :)

Ntrgrl[/font]

Offline californianative

• Regular Poster
  • Lisa....a California Native
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 05:41:32 AM »
That's a great attitude, fight that knee as much as you can, like my PT always told me, you can't break it by pusing the limits of ROM, so do what you can the best you can. The shower should have worked wonders, wash some of that pain right off of you, good luck!
Lisa...a California Native
2003 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving
2004 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving, lateral release, meniscus repair, resurfacing of the bones.