Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Cant straighten knee without pain  (Read 2837 times)

Offline bottoms_up

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Cant straighten knee without pain
« on: October 29, 2002, 08:02:48 PM »
Hello... i have been seeing my dr about some pain i woke up with.. about a month ago.
As long as my knee is bent... i am ok.  
i can put all my weight on my leg.. IF my knee is bent.
BUT when my leg is totally straight and locked.. it hurts or gives out.  As well, when i twist sideways it hurts as well.
At first i couldnt even TRY to straighten it.. but was given Viox (anti inflammatory) so now.. its a bit better but still the same problems.  Tried 2 weeks of that medication.. one week at a time.
She sent me for xrays and an ultra sound.. but i saw what she had written... Bakers cyst.. that they were looking for.  i checked what that was and the symptons and its the opposite of what my problem is.
i wonder if my dr even hears me? sheesh.. lol
ANY ideas from people on what i can look for.. and suggest to her that we look for?
Thanks ;)
bottoms up   ???

Offline bottoms_up

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Cant straighten knee without pain
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2002, 08:17:06 PM »
Me again... lol
Just wanted to mention... i see and feel no swelling and the dr didnt either.
On the test sheet.. she wrote Bakers Cyst ?   with the question mark... lol
botts

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 08:45:15 PM »
Hi Bottoms Up,

After I hurt my knee, those were my beginning symptoms. It turned out that I have no cartilige left on the end of me thigh bone. The only thing that the diagnostic tests showed was effusion. We did not know what the problem was until the scope.

Good luck!
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Offline bottoms_up

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 08:49:48 PM »
Thanks Linda  :D
I didnt know this board existed.. but sure am happy i found it!
Any leads or information help the dr and i find out what the hell is going on.. before it gets worse.
How long did you suffer before you found out what was going on?  Hoping all is well now?  Did they fix the problem?
botts

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2002, 09:07:59 PM »
Botts,

We waited 6 weeks for improvement, and then went for the scope. The original OS also did a LR at that time. I am not sure at all that it was needed. As far as I can tell it made no difference in my knee troubles. I wish I had researched and gone to the OS I am seeing now to begin with.

The cartilige has continued to worsen, so I am having ACI surgery on Nov 6.

My other knee has some of the same trouble, but is not as bad.

The thing with my knee started the way you described after a long hike up, and then down a 14ner. I was carrying a 50 lb pack. Not smart. I was fine until the day after. I had done this many times before with no trouble though. I gave the knees some time off, and then 6 weeks later played some sports. The left knee then swelled horribly, and off I went for the scope. It did not hurt any more than it had been while I played. It waited until a few hours later and then just got bigger and bigger.

Looking back, I wish I had not played the sports until there was no pain left in either knee. Maybe then I would not be looking at the ACI surgery now.

Hopefully they can get you straightened around and on the road to recovery soon. I hope you have a very good knee guy.

Good luck!
Linda

LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

support